Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi!
I am currently pursuing adoption as a single parent. I am 38 years old and while I had hoped to meet my husband by now, I haven't and really want to have a family of my own. I am a special education teacher and love children very much. Children with special needs hold a treasured place in my heart as do children in the foster care system. However, I long for a baby. I am therefore pursuing domestic adoption through foster care although I am considering domestic newborn - I worry about this as a single parent because no one may pick me. And while I would like to use my skills and passion for children with disabilities, I also know that I would need a lot of support to do that. This is a difficult and confusing process and I am just getting started. I attended two orientations, one with an agency placing domestic newborns, and one with an agency working with kids in foster care or with special needs (AASK). I have an intake interview with AASK on Monday, but I'm still worrying about choosing the right agency and avenue. I have limited finances but am committed to this wholeheartedly! But there are still a lot of decisions to make and other agencies to consider. I like what I have read about facilitators, but have not found any in my area yet. I recently moved to a new place (Arizona) so my networking is limited. I am very hopeful that these message boards will be helpful with all the questions and concerns I am facing.
Thanks, Jeni!
jenijj
Hi!
I am currently pursuing adoption as a single parent. I am 38 years old and while I had hoped to meet my husband by now, I haven't and really want to have a family of my own. I am a special education teacher and love children very much. Children with special needs hold a treasured place in my heart as do children in the foster care system. However, I long for a baby. I am therefore pursuing domestic adoption through foster care although I am considering domestic newborn - I worry about this as a single parent because no one may pick me. And while I would like to use my skills and passion for children with disabilities, I also know that I would need a lot of support to do that. This is a difficult and confusing process and I am just getting started. I attended two orientations, one with an agency placing domestic newborns, and one with an agency working with kids in foster care or with special needs (AASK). I have an intake interview with AASK on Monday, but I'm still worrying about choosing the right agency and avenue. I have limited finances but am committed to this wholeheartedly! But there are still a lot of decisions to make and other agencies to consider. I like what I have read about facilitators, but have not found any in my area yet. I recently moved to a new place (Arizona) so my networking is limited. I am very hopeful that these message boards will be helpful with all the questions and concerns I am facing.
Thanks, Jeni!
Just wondering how things are going? I am also a single, I have a bio son age 3, and would like to foster-adopt a child 3 or under. Just wondering what you have heard re: the likelihood of being placed with a younger child as a single working mom? Welcome to AZ!
Advertisements
Thinking of you. I'm a support worker for children under five with special needs/disabilities. Your post gave me goosebumps. I would also like to hear an update if you don't mind sharing.
Hi!
Thanks for checking in - it's nice to have encouraging words.
Unfortunately I have run into some road blocks! When I moved here, I decided to rent because I was unfamiliar with the area and don't know how long I'll be here. Sadly, the condo I rent has a patio that is near the community's water feature and it would be diffiuclt to pass a home study certification without making major adjustments which I can't do as a renter. The fost-adopt agency I was working with have decided not to continue with me unless I (a) decide to go with a child aged 6 or older or (b) move before beginning the process.
This is understandable but frustrating mainly because the process takes so long that I'm anxious to at least get started. I was hoping to go through the fost-adopt process with them and then after that pursue a domestic newborn adoption. I am guessing that domestic newborn will take awhile to get chosen as a single by a birthparent. Either way, I can't do anything right now because of my patio situation.
I am stymied and wishing things were different.