Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay this is kind of af hypothetical question. But let's say a family who had adopted a child in one state (let's say Texas), many years later (let's say 6) decided to move to another state for a job opportunity. Would the Texas Medicaid still cover the child in the new state (let's say Colorado)? Has ANYONE done this, or know anything about this? Medicaid is just the secondary coverage so it's not that big of a deal (except if Hypothetical Child has major medical issues).
Thanks to anyone that has any experience or just opinions (no experience is really necessary :) )!
There are lower altitude places in CO in the SE. Right on the border of the plains. Spent one summer there, so I'm an expert. ;) Wind blew aallll the time; might be more or less, but always. Coooooold winters, with wind. Warm/hot summers, with wind. Rattlesnakes. Flat. Really nice people, though. Probably because the wind, snakes, heat/cold, and flat landscape made them grab onto and value their neighbors to stay sane.
Advertisements
Barksum
There are lower altitude places in CO in the SE. Right on the border of the plains. Spent one summer there, so I'm an expert. ;) Wind blew aallll the time; might be more or less, but always. Coooooold winters, with wind. Warm/hot summers, with wind. Rattlesnakes. Flat. Really nice people, though. Probably because the wind, snakes, heat/cold, and flat landscape made them grab onto and value their neighbors to stay sane.
I'm okay with that! Then she'd still be somewhat close to me. ;)
Nevada Jen
For god's sake, don't bring a medically fragile kid to Nevada! I am pretty sure most doctors here can't even locate a heart!
OMG Jen- I almost spit diet coke all over my computer screen (not sure why but I found that hilarious).
DDW - The altitude was my on my list of top concerns (just below my medicaid question), so I'll be calling cardiology and the pediatrician to see what they think before we commit to anything! We aren't going to live in Denver (I know the altitude is too high there) but there is a REALLY good Children's Hospital there (and they are ranked up there with Houston for Pedi-hearts). BTW I googled it and we would be less than 500 Miles to Omaha (so I could totally road trip it - in good weather :) ).
To everyone else thanks for your posts but don't ANY of you people live someplace that's WARM? Philly? Michigan? NEBRASKA? How come no one wants me to move to Florida or Arizona?
Barki/Kerby I'm not sure that she's Title IV-E (or whatever you called it) I don't remember that? I'll have to look at our paperwork and make some calls on Monday.
Anyway we have not decided anything for sure and haven't made any commitments yet...we are still in the "hypothetical" stages. Oh and for any of my FB friends if we could keep this on the DL on Facebook and just talk about it here that would be good. (I haven't really told many people in REAL LIFE yet... I want to get all my questions answered and make sure that this is even a possibility before we start planning anything. THANKS cyberfriends!
... they keep the kids Oregon Medicaid Eligible vs. Title-IV unless they absolutely have to ... if a child moves out of state the Oregon Medicaid does move with them ... but does not transfer - just gets tricky when you need to have them see any medical professional and all costs have to be approved and run through the Oregon system ... more a paperwork nightmare than anything else ... IF you get the medical professionals in the new place to agree to do the processing and/or wait for payment ....
I'm in GA on the FL border. Pros...pecan trees, mild winters (until this one), within two hours of the ocean, cheap land and cost of living, 3.5 hours from disney world. Cons..it's not FL so we have state income tax.
Advertisements
SuzBerg
How come no one wants me to move to Florida or Arizona?
Brandy was just complaining the other day that no one moves to AZ. I bet she would be glad to have you guys come there. :)
I actually researched that hospital in Denver when we were thinking of moving soley to get better medical care and because my law license was transferable to CO. It did sound like a wonderful hospital! I really wish you all could see what our BEST is here. You really have no idea how bad it can be. After seeing DDW's hospital I can't stomach the thought of setting foot in ours again.
Think Oklahoma!!!! 4 inches of snow was considered a Blizzard (yes, with a capital B). There is a "refreshing" breeze that blows year round. Summers are warm and it's sunny (unless it's thunderstorms)....:clap:
We moved from WA to OK about 6 months ago. Medicaid was our 2nd ins and when we transferred his SSI, it switched and they did the paperwork. If we weren't SSI, then I would have to call his adoption sub people in WA and they do the paperwork to transfer states. Wa pays OK to provide coverage.
Advertisements
DPline
I can't compete with the no income tax of NV, but Michigan doesn't have the temperature extremes of CO or TX and no altitude issues. Lots of us from a.com here too. :)
Honey...the cold has gone and froze your brain solid!!! MI not EXTREME with the wind chill, cold & HUMIDITY?
:evilgrin:
Jen - You need to move here too then!!
WHOO! CO will take over them MI A.commers yet!;) LOL!
crick
Jen - You need to move here too then!!
WHOO! CO will take over them MI A.commers yet!;) LOL!
Hahahahahaha!!!!!
Advertisements
We just did this too. We moved from California to Utah. We adopted a sibling set of 4 and finalized earlier this year. It was pretty easy to do. I think CA forwarded paperwork, I don't remember having to do very much. For us it is also the secondary health insurance.
Just wanted to thank everyone again for the info and answer to my question. But, we won't be moving to Colorado, after talking with Em's cardiologist and doing lot's of research (google :) ), we now know it's just not a possibility for our family. Kiddo's with Em's heart-condition generally do very poorly in high altitudes and considering Em's more fragile than most hlhs kiddos and our doc would not recommend moving her there. In fact, it's the opinion of a leading cardiologist at the children's hospital there that patient's with HLHS should actually move to lowere altitudes.
I had thought it might be a problem but did not realize how serious and big a problem it could be! We are a little disapointed as we thought this would be a good opportunity for our Family but of course no job is worth sacrificing our daughter's health!