Advertisements
Advertisements
Let me start by saying that my husband's doctor has the personality and bedside manner of Dr. House, just to put this into prospective.
So he went for his medical part and tb test today, and his doc was the typical *** that he is. He didn't want to fill out the paper, he took issue with the way the questions were worded. He made it sound like it was up to him to make the decision on wether we were suitable to be foster parents or not rather than just providing the information. Example:
One of the questions (this is very loosely quoted as I no longer have the forms) " Does your patient suffer from any emotional or psychological problems that would prevent them from being a foster parent?" He read this out loud and said "I'm not qualified to answer that, I'm not a shrink". (Couldn't he have just stated that nothing had been presented or diagnosed that would reflect that). I get that he doesn't want to make presumptions that could somehow get him in trouble later, but there are ways to word things.
Now my husband does have two medical problems, one is a back issue which he is on disability for and has been disclosed to our social worker and he had it when we adopted our last two boys and it wasn't a problem. Hubby also has an irregular heartbeat (so does his mother and sister), he's gone through all the testing that has been requested, and the cardiologist said "Yeah, it was a little irregular, but its not a problem, we'll just keep an eye one it". They haven't even wanted to do any further tests in 2 years and he takes no medicine for it.
So "Dr. House" says- "You sure don't look very good on paper".
So hubby tried to reassure him that we've been doing this for almost 20 years and 4 of our 5 children were in the office (out in the waiting room) and are patients there (they had to get TB tests too) if he wanted to check their records to be sure their have been no concerns over their care.
He then goes on to lecture him "you know you can't smoke in the house or in the car and be a foster parent" , well duh, as I said we've got 5 kids. In fact hubby had already asked him about Chantix to quit smoking.
He didn't say he wouldn't do it, but he certainly wasn't happy about having to answer the questions and we have NO Idea what he is going to write on it.
We knew he was a jerk, but we figured since hubby had been seeing him for several years its better to see a doc you have a history with then try to find a new one at the last minute, it might look like you are trying to hide something. But he pretty much proved our belief that he's an *** that thinks he's better than anybody else.
I wish I was there, I want to ask him, if he "looks so bad on paper" why as his doctor are you not treating him for ANYTHING????
I guess this was a half vent, but I need reassurance that "Dr. House" isn't going to ruin our chances or guidance on how to proceed if he tries. Thanks in advance.
I really feel for you. I always wonder about those docs with poor bedside manner. What made them go into medicine in the 1st place???!!!
I have no experience w/medical clearance as it wasn't required for us, but want to wish you the best!
Advertisements
I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. I would switch docs for sure. My DH and I see the same PCP and he had me fill out all of the questions and just signed in. LOL He knows we're healthy and it was a way of saving time for him. Hope it works out!
My doctor (she is wonderful, and we have a great relationship) also had a problem with the way the questions were asked. She felt if she answered the questions the way they were asked, we would not look good on paper. She was afraid that we would be denied based on information that would be taken out of context. She did work very hard to answer the questions honestly but put us in the best light.
Advertisements
Chris and I just did our physicals today :) Your experience makes me appreciate ours.
Im sorry your husband had to put up with that!
Question for you...did your insurance cover it? I paid just over $400 for the exams and the tb tests. The blood work was covered.
Tam
I am not sure if your doctor has to mail in the forms, or if you get to collect them and deliver them. If you get to collect them first, and the results are negative, then go somewhere else. We went to a clinic that had only given me a TB test, years before, and everything went well. We are now licensed.
I would also write a letter letting him know that his bedside manner could use some work. Mark it 'private and confidential,' so that you can be sure that he reads it.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]We used to have a PCP like that. She is a small 4'11 80lb woman she told EVERYONE they were overweight!!!! Also had this thing that because aunt so and so back from yadda yadda had this you will have this.. but, no one ever did!
We just went to a quick clinic. We tried to get an appt with our PCP but she wouldn't do us both back to back.. ODD!!
We paid around $250.00 and the quick clinic people were superrrr nice!!!
I'm sure all if fine. They just want to make sure you are "healthy" enough to care for a child.
[/FONT]
Thanks for the support. To answer a couple of questions, one of the reasons he hasn't found a new doctor already is because he is on Medicare due to his disability, and the boys are on Medicaid due to their adoption subsidy and there are very few doctors around here that will accept their insurance. And since he seems to be a knowledgeable enough doctor and my husband has pretty thick skin, he's never let his bedside manner bother him up to this point of needing something from him. I think he is going to start looking for a new doc after yesterdays experience.
As far as I know their visits should be covered as they were all due for physicals anyhow.
And finally, no we did not get the paper back, our CW wrote on it that it was to be mailed by the doctor to be "confidential". She said that was so the doctors could write what they wanted without you seeing it, but something tells me that that may be against HIPPA regulations, don't you have a right to anything in your file?
I'm not sure if we should address with our CW our concerns or just wait to see if anything is said that we need to clarify or correct. For example, he could get a letter from his cardiologist giving him the clear on the heart condition I'm sure without any problem, as she gave him clearance to do anything he wanted and prescribed ******, lol. I don't think she would have prescribed him that if she was worried about him dropping dead any time soon.
On the back issue she could see if she read our previous homestudies that he's had the same condition for many years and it has not changed. I don't know if I should prepare for a fight and get my ducks in a row, or just sit back and relax knowing there is no REAL problem just a percieved one and a jerk of a doctor. Then I think too, if we do have to rebute the physician statement is it even worth the fight? Getting approved does NOT equal getting a child placed. They can approve you because they have no grounds to disqualify you, but it doesn't mean they have to place with you, kwim?
Advertisements
Barb65
For example, he could get a letter from his cardiologist giving him the clear on the heart condition I'm sure without any problem, as she gave him clearance to do anything he wanted and prescribed ******, lol. I don't think she would have prescribed him that if she was worried about him dropping dead any time soon.
Wow, when did a prescription drug name (V I A G R A)become a bad word that has to be ****** out?
I know Dr. House was a jerk but I like the fact that he read the questions and thought about the answers. My doc just scribbled OK down the list and signed it and we had only been his patients for a very short time. Foster care is about keeping vulnerable children safe and it should be taken seriously. I agree with the doc that he isn't qualified to make mental health determinations and I don't think it would be wrong of him to state that on the form.
To me, it doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about. The doc isn't going to lie about your husband's health issues. The sw will ask you for more info if there are concerns and it sounds like you have no problem there with cardiologist backing you up.
I guess it depends on the agency's guidelines. It seems to me that if a single person can foster then why not a couple where one person has some health issues? I think every case is assessed individually and I hope everything works out for your family. I have found that sw's have no problem overlooking small issues after they get to know the family and feel confident and comfortable with them. They may not even think there is an issue. Try not to worry while you're waiting!
Odd that YOUR medical information is confidential. I guess there are different rules there? We got to see what they put and mail it ourselves.
Fingers crossed for you that it all comes out okay. If it doesn't, get a second opinion!
Barb65
Wow, when did a prescription drug name (V I A G R A)become a bad word that has to be ****** out?
As a moderator, the only thing I can suggest is that it's because it's a "family-friendly" site. Also with HIPPA should you be telling us about his "meds"?? (LOL)
Advertisements