Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My 22 yr old son was a human vaccuum. Even his coaches were impressed! Part of his issue was Zyprexa, which causes hunger--and weight gain.
Look at whatever meds he's on. Talk with the doc. And ask yourself if it's possible that the other homes he's been in just didn't report it or it just wasn't reported to you. I'd also wonder why he left the past homes and how long he was there. It might be a time frame issue for him--I've been here this long, I was there this long, when do I move again? Maybe his food issues ARE triggered by stress.
After ruling out any physical issues, I'd be worried less about weight gain and more about his emotional state right now since this is so sudden. Maybe he needs to get into soccer or karate or something if this is a stress reaction.
We had kids who would eat everything except the tablecloth--including all of the condiments on the table. I learned to cook only enough for them to have a regular portion and then about 1/2 as much for seconds. It didn't stop the feeding frenzy, but it did control their amount of intake. You might also try giving him control of his own snack box with enough snacks for a week at a time. He'd pick them out (with your help) and keep them in his own little tub. He would control when and how they were eaten. When gone, they'd be replaced at the appointed time. Some kids need that little bit of control to be able to let go of their compulsions.