Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all!
In late October, DS (2 1/2) started snoring & sleeping terribly. The snoring was SO bad, he woke himself up! We let it go for a bit, found out he had an ear infection, but the snoring continued after that. He had an xray of his tonsils & adenoids, but it came back clear. So, our pedi recommended seeing an Allergist. We saw one today and he's not allergic to a darn thing except some outdoor stuff. She's convinced it's the adenoids and said that just because the xray was unremarkable, it doesn't mean they don't need to come out. (She had the same experience with her daughter.)
Does anyone have experience with this? I read a few threads about adenoids & snorning but no one mentioned if their xrays were clear. Do I push the issue with our Pedi or just see a Pedi ENT on our own and bypass her? (I'd hate to do that because she's really, really good!)
Thanks for your help!!!
:flower:
We bipassed primary care phys and went straight to pedi ent. Our daughters adenoids were removed last Thursday. We are hopeful it will clear up her snoring and sleep apnea.
Advertisements
Our bio daughter used to snore. It was a cute snore though. She had her tonsils and adenois removed when she was 11. It did stop the snoring. We miss it.
Saj
Two of my sons had both the adenoids and tonsils removed. The adenoids were the biggest culprits. With my second son I asked the surgeon to take the adenoids out if needed during the tonsillectomy. I signed before the surgery. He ended up taking them out as he could see they were extremely large and even more of a problem then the tonsils. It is a hard decission. I would be hesitant to have them removed without more certainty if that is what is the problem. Anna
I noticed my son's snoring right away and the restless sleep just intensified within months of being home. He also had numerous ear infections. I went to the pediatric ENT after the pediatrician suggested the adenoid x-ray. My son had his tonsils out, a partial adenoidectomy, along with ear tubes done last March. The adenoids were a bit larger than what the x-ray seemed to show. Within two weeks he was sleeping through the night. And as predicted by the ped ENT, I would be hovering over him to see if he was breathing because he was so quiet when he slept. The ped ENT is the way to go. My son is showing signs of snoring a bit almost a year later. Adenoids can grow back I believe so he may at some point have to go in again but I'm waiting since he sleeps well right now. One other note, my son was originally a preemie and because he was under the age of 3 the ENT had him stay over night in the hospital as a precaution. I was able to stay with him the entire time.
Mom of 2 beautiful boys home almost 2 years.
Our middle son snored horribly.... of course he had huge tonsils... and the ent believed his adenoids out also.
Personally, I would go to an ent...or even a sleep clinic if you are able to get into one....
My son did great having his surgery at 3.5....
Still snores though... so we are going to the sleep clinic because he has some sleep problems that remain...
jmo
Advertisements
My son had his adenoids out, and tubes put in about 2 months ago. The adenoids were taken out because he had sinus issues, which we thought were allergies. He is generally a good sleeper, and never snored before surgery. Now, he snores, and still breathes through his mouth. His sleep is still a bit restless. His recovery seems to be a bit slower I guess? (doctors say it's normal, and hes doing great)
Antonio had a sleep study and had sleep apnea. He snored like an old man. Last January we had the adenoids removed. They were very enlarged. No snoring at all. He did great. Oh he was 2.5 at the time
Patty
I'm glad you posted this. Katelyn has started snoring recently and it has been on my list to ask about. She had numerous ear infections before getting her tubes in last May. The ear infections have resolved, but she constantly has a runny nose and some mild ezcema. I think I will start with her ENT, seeing we already have a relationship with him and maybe see an allergist as well.
kzwief
I'm glad you posted this. Katelyn has started snoring recently and it has been on my list to ask about. She had numerous ear infections before getting her tubes in last May. The ear infections have resolved, but she constantly has a runny nose and some mild ezcema. I think I will start with her ENT, seeing we already have a relationship with him and maybe see an allergist as well.
i know people are resistant to this but try cutting out all dairy, i have seen it resolve these symptoms 100% after just 3-4 weeks. worth a try, i promise. just make sure you supplement calcium if you take out dairy.
Advertisements
The speech therapist that worked with my 2 year old today strongly encouraged me to make an appointment with the ENT to get his adenoids checked. She said she can hear the congestion when he talks and breathes and feels it may be affecting his speech. His tonsils are also huge (and have been for a long time). He does snore at night, but I don't think of him as having excessive amounts of colds or ear infections. I am making an appointment with the ENT, but my question is -what exactly do the adenoids do? What are the implications of not having them removed? It's an embarassing question because one of my daughters had her tonsils and adenoids out when she was 6 and I didn't know then either. I am determined not to feel like a dummy at this appointment.
Thanks,
Mary
mom to Bobby 12, Bridget 11, Angela 9, Eddie 5 (home 2005) and Naldo 2 (home Feb. 08)
The adenoids are part of the immune system in that they help fight infection by trapping bacteria and viruses. They do play a small role in producing antibodies. Adenoids tend to shrink with age and play less of a role as the child gets older. I think the problem becomes when the adenoids trap bacteria or viruses they swell temporarily. For some kids they can cause issues with breathing such as snoring. The ENT will be able to give you the full explanation on why or why not they should be removed. Don't feel you need to know everything going in, just ask all the questions you want. In my son's case it was a partial adenoidectomy. His were huge and he definitely could not sleep through the night. He was awake 3-5 times a night and it got worse the last couple months before his surgery. I was lucky to get 1-2 hours sleep straight on any night. There is a small chance my son will have to have another adenoidectomy. He is starting to sound congested all the time and starting wake a little more in the night. It's almost been a year and they can grow back. He goes back for a check up in a couple weeks and we will see.
Thank-you Joanc!
Mary
mom to Bobby 12, Bridget 11, Angela 9, Eddie 5 (home 2005) and Naldo 2 (home Feb. 08)
My DD had adenoids and tubes put in last august at 4. Her ears are great, but she still snores up a storm.
Advertisements
Thanks for all of the replies (and the explanation of what the adenoids actually DO!)... We saw a pedi ENT today. She said the xrays indicated that the adenoids are indeed enlarged and DS's tonsils need to come out as well. I'm a little confused why our pedi said we should take the word of the radiologist who read the xrays that told us they were normal over the ENT, but that's another conversation altogether...
:flower:
The best way to find a good home renovator company is to go for referrals from friends and relatives. Also check local classifieds and reviews online.
Last update on May 11, 1:20 pm by Miriam Gwilliam.