Advertisements
Advertisements
Very thought-provoking, well-researched article that looks at the international political, economic and legal issues regarding the Hague Convention.
Excerpt:
"I would like to distance myself from pro and anti-adoption labels and direct this discussion back to the heart of the matter: is intercountry adoption a child protection measure, or do children have rights in their own country and is intercountry adoption the ultimate breach of such rights?
This article describes the effects that the Hague Adoption Convention
1 had on adoptions from Romania. The aim of the Hague Convention was to guarantee that intercountry adoption would take place in the interest of the child, with respect for his/her fundamental rights, and to prevent the abduction, sale of or trafficking in children. Romania was one of the first countries that ratified this Convention (1994), and adopted in 1997 a Hague compliant adoption law. However, from 1997 to 2001 this convention did not so much protect the rights of the children, but foremost those of the parties in the receiving countries: central authorities, adoption agencies and adoptive parents. It further shows how intercountry adoption developed into a full-grown market, which functions according to the economical laws of Supply and Demand.
The result of the Romanian ban on intercountry adoptions will be discussed, including the consequences with regards to other countries. The article ends with the crucial question: can intercountry adoption be legislated without it leading to a demand-driven child market? This article argues why such is not possible under the current provisions of the 1993 Hague Convention."
[URL="http://againstchildtrafficking.org/Artikel_The_Perverse_Effects_of_the_Hague_Adoption_Convention%20FINAL.pdf"]http://againstchildtrafficking.org/Artikel_The_Perverse_Effects_of_the_Hague_Adoption_Convention%20FINAL.pdf[/URL]
[FONT=Book Antiqua,Book Antiqua][FONT=Book Antiqua,Book Antiqua][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua,Book Antiqua][FONT=Book Antiqua,Book Antiqua]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Ripple,
Can't read the article right now but it does bother me re the demand fueling the need to ensure the supply. It always has and I read something the other day that is still bugging me.
Why can't it just be simple - only children without any other options be placed for adoption?
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Thanks Ripples
In 1991 I wrote my thesis on the scary huge orphanages in Romainia and Russia and the numerous "irregular" adoptions, which included a big check, which the orphanages never saw.
I still have horrific nightmares from what I learned.
I'm glad some things have been noticed and changed since then. I hope much more is changed.
It's very aggravating that the long awaited Hague Treaty is not doing what we'd hoped it would do. :(
Around 1993 I was fortunate to work with a company that paid for visa's and allowed people from other countries to come here to live and work. I heard so many stories, especially from women from Russia and the Phillipines about their children being taken for various lame reasons, poor, full time working parents, didn't own their own home, lived with family, forgot to bring extra emergency change of clothes or shoes. Two women I knew lived in Russia, they had all week school/daycare in the big cities. The mom's would drop off the kids on monday, go to work and pick them up on Friday.
Both of these women said they lost their children while they were at "day care". The people who cared for the kids somehow made the kids available for adoption. The mom's went to pick them up on friday, and the kids were gone, forever. No court, no lawyer, nothing. Just gone with no real explanation as to where or why.
It was gut wrenching to hear these stories from so many, and from so many countries. Some said it was the main reason they wanted to move to the US, they thought their children might be here, and at least they would be closer to them. :(