Advertisements
Advertisements
millie58
Bring it up to the social worker.
Kaspo: you have to have permission for a foster child to play sports or go to camp? wow!! .
Any activity that requires a permission slip to be signed by legal gaurdian/parent has to be signed by just that person... As a FP I am neither of those things so I have to get the parents to sign it. However, if mom or dad can't be found usualy the CW has no problem signing it.
Advertisements
Why do so many people automatically jump in with the judgment? i don't see anything in her signature that says how old the child is or any other details. If the child is a teen and begging for it to be done and the bios are MIA, it's a legitimate question to ask (and the proper answer is "Ask your CW"; no judgment or assumptions required.)
So often these kids wait literally years for permanency. If they can act like "regular kids" in the meantime (in ways that aren't hurting anyone and that the bios and foster parents don't object to), why shouldn't they? How hard would it be for a teen to be forced to tell their friends, who want to get their ears pierced together, that she can't because her mom is MIA and she's "just" a foster kid so her foster mom can't say yes? Or for goodness' sake a boy who doesn't want long hair being forced to keep it because he's in the system for 3 years and his parents don't want him to get it cut. Older kids should have SOME say in the matter when their bios are selfish or stubborn or missing. Foster parents should be able to advocate for their fk's needs (and in some cases, wants).
I would normally say, just ask the CW, especially if it is the child who is asking for it and the child is of an age to understand what it means to have your ears pierced and is capable of caring for them as required.
I'm pretty sure the child in this case is an infant, so to me, this is more about foster mom's wishes than the baby's.
I know the arguments for ear piercing as an infant and those against, I know the ones for culture as well, but I don't see any of that in this case as it is currently. So I would urge the foster mom to shelve the idea for the time being.
fredalina
Why do so many people automatically jump in with the judgment? i don't see anything in her signature that says how old the child is or any other details.
Compared to some threads on here, there was nothing blaringly judgemental....just caution on getting ears pierced and who should give permission....if it's a baby, most people were saying let it go...if it was an older girl people said "talk to CW". People's posts are not AUTOMATICALLY judgemental....I know we live in a PC world but honestly this is a rated G thread....have you seen some of the ones here?
Advertisements
Well, I'm going to chime in here and make a statement that will not be popular. I think kids should only get their ears pierced when they are old enough to walk into the booth on their own and understand that, yes, it will hurt. Getting your ears pierced, whether for cosmetic purposed or cultural purposes hurts! The baby's don't understand why, then they try to rest and hit their ear on the carseat, mattress, whatever and it throbs again. I jjust don't understand why it is ok to hold an infant or young child down, push a staple in their ear and then wonder why they are screaming and can't rest for the next week. There I said it. Can you tell this is one of my pet peeves? (Sorry if I offended anyone, I am in a grouchy mood-P had a major meltdown last night and this morning. She dosen't want to be a "foster kid" anymore. She wants her family and she's probably not going to get them.)
fredalina
Why do so many people automatically jump in with the judgment? i don't see anything in her signature that says how old the child is or any other details. If the child is a teen and begging for it to be done and the bios are MIA, it's a legitimate question to ask (and the proper answer is "Ask your CW"; no judgment or assumptions required.)
So often these kids wait literally years for permanency. If they can act like "regular kids" in the meantime (in ways that aren't hurting anyone and that the bios and foster parents don't object to), why shouldn't they? How hard would it be for a teen to be forced to tell their friends, who want to get their ears pierced together, that she can't because her mom is MIA and she's "just" a foster kid so her foster mom can't say yes? Or for goodness' sake a boy who doesn't want long hair being forced to keep it because he's in the system for 3 years and his parents don't want him to get it cut. Older kids should have SOME say in the matter when their bios are selfish or stubborn or missing. Foster parents should be able to advocate for their fk's needs (and in some cases, wants).
Well, the OP did not say what the age of the child is, but it looks as if it is an infant/toddler. If not, she would have said the teen/tween is asking for her ears to be pierced. It sounds as if it is a very young child and that is where my posts are based from. I still don't think it is right for a foster parent on a young child to request for the ears to be pierced. If in fact it was a teen asking, I will clarify that I would indeed feel differently.
AND, for that matter about being judgmental, aren't you doing the same?