Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I'm copying this from the ICASN web site - I'm really in awe of just how politically active a lot of Korean adoptees are in pushing for positive change.
Ripples
------------------------------------------------------- --------------
TRACK (Truth and Reconciliation for the Adoption Community of Korea) is making history-changing art to convince Korean legislators to support unwed moms by voting for the Adoption Law revisions. IMAGINE -- a Korea where moms have choices and children don't have to be sent away like we 200,000 were...
If you're a Korean adoptee and would like to participate, please contact TRACK directly as they are seeking mugshots/photos of Korean adoptees. Or Google "Jane Jeong Trenka" to see how you can support the project.
You can see the images of the project concept at:
[URL="http://justicespeaking.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/volunteers-needed-for-art-installation-inside-s-koreas-parliament/"]http://justicespeaking.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/volunteers-needed-for-art-instal\
\
lation-inside-s-koreas-parliament/
[/URL]
Here's Jane's eloquent appeal:
We need YOU to make art history inside S. Korea's parliament
Posted on May 26, 2010 by jjtrenka
Our adoption law revision bill has been checked for legality and approved; our
bill has been introduced in a press conference; and we have attended countless
hours of meetings and public hearings. Now it's time to MAKE A BILL INTO LAW!
South Korean national parliamentarian Choi Young-hee (DP) has asked TRACK to
make some art in order to garner support amongst lawmakers for the adoption law
revision bill that was proposed by coalition of ASK-KoRoot-Miss Mamma Mia-TRACK
and written by the Gonggam Public Interest Lawyers.
Not only that, but we have gotten permission to make our art inside the National
Assembly complex, in the building where the lawmakers debate, and leave it there
from June 9-15. This is a huge victory to have a lawmaker so squarely on our
side.
Now we are going to show them what 200,000 international adoptees look like.
So they can just ponder that.
The nature of the site is a big atrium connecting two parts of a building. That
means that every national lawmaker in South Korea will be forced to walk through
our exhibit. Every lawmaker will be forced to think about South Korea's
responsibility to care for its own citizens. Every lawmaker.
Amongst TRACK members, we've nicknamed this project "The Walk of Shame." Make no
mistake, your average Korean is ASHAMED that the country has sent away their
most precious natural resource €" their children. And they feel GUILTY that
they
continue to do it in the face of the G20. What we want to show them is that they
don't have to just stew in the shame and guilt. That's not productive. Instead,
they can proactively take the bull by the horns and make laws that promote
family preservation instead of international adoption.
Over 89% of adoptees sent in 2008 and 2009 were children of single mothers.
There are no little war orphans anymore €" only discrimination and the laws
that
institutionalize it. If you don't like the rules, well then, you have to change
them. We are a small band of proactive adoptees, Korean single mothers who
believe they have the right to raise their own children, and Korean and
international allies who have been quietly working toward that for about two
years. Now this is the final hour and we need your help. This rises above
partisan politics, because this is for the people. We are challenging them to do
it before the G20.
So it's time to pull out all the stops! We need your help. Without your help, we
will fail. This is going to be a HUGE art project right in the belly of the beast!
WE CAN DO IT and we have ONE BIG CHANCE, JUNE 9-15.
Please participate! Together, we can do the impossible!!
~Thank you from TRACK's grateful and happily productive adoptees!!!~
and PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!
Thanks!
Korean adoptees have every right to be proud of what they have accomplished and will accomplish. I have been following a couple of blogs about this and what an effort they have put into this.
I am still blown away that 200,000 Korean babies have been adopted via intercountry adoption. The sheer number affected.
The country of Korea has also lost some incredible people.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Hi Dickons,
I'd actually met one of the founders of GOAL who said it took a lot of pressure from intercountry, Korean adoptees before the Korean government set in place things like special visas for returning adoptees to visit. One of the factors that enabled the Korean adoptees to persuade the government was point out that it was using overseas adoption as a substitute for social welfare policies. And I have heard from some Korean adoptees that many Koreans do feel great shame that they, as a country, can't afford to keep their own kids.
Imagine if the tables were turned. The USA and Europe became so broke due to the Global Financial Crisis that they had to cancel all social welfare, eg. no more food stamps, veterans aid, unemployment benefits, single parent support, homeless shelters, Medicare, etc; and instead let rich Asians adopt USA/European babies in the hundreds of thousands. How would Americans/Europeans feel? (Perhaps this scenario isn't too unimaginable, given the current concern about the European economy's downturn).
I think it was Jane Trenka's article that noted that Korea's standard of living for their poorest was higher than the USA's standard of living for their poorest...and that due to the sheer numbers the upcoming senior population will suffer.
They do need to provide more for single mothers but am glad to see that domestic adoptions are more acceptable and have dramatically increased and last I checked exceeded intercountry.
I do hope that the US and Cdn newswires will pick up the story because it is a phenomal effort and event...it is hard to even imagine 200,000 export id tags attached to the tunnel - unbelieveable. I would expect the BBC may pick it up - I find I watch the BBC more than my local news - much better coverage and indepth articles/stories about ALL countries.
FYI - I was thrilled to find out Korea won yesterday - I have no favorite team so perhaps I will hope they take it all!
Kind regards,
Dickons
[url=http://gyopo.wordpress.com/2010/06/16/a-collection-of-one/]A Collection of One Hello Korea ![/url]
Amazing...
Kind regards,
Dickons