Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm single and already have a biological child who is half-Taiwanese. I would prefer for her to have another sibling, and for them to ideally share some cultural heritage. But are single women not elligible to adopt from Taiwan?
Advertisements
Technically, single women can adopt. However, Taiwan is a very small country, with far more applications from prospective parents than there are children to adopt. As a result, Taiwanese orphanages are able to give a strong "preference" to married couples, without diminishing their ability to place children. Also, in some, but not all, Taiwan programs, birthmothers can choose the adoptive family, and since many of the birthmothers cannot parent because they are unmarried, they are not comfortable with the idea of placing their child with a single person.
Sharon
We looked into adopting from Taiwan many months ago and called a few agencies that seemed reputable. Most of them told us "No" but there was one that would accept single parents if you are open to severe special needs (e.g. limb differences, cerebral palsy, Hepatitis B or C etc.)
Thanks to all who replied, and especially Sharon... your reply made a lot of cultural sense to me. I have a new Chinese friend and she regularly expressed amazement that I was studying Chinese and had a young baby at home and there was no husband. I asked her recently what single moms in China (she's from mainland - from Wuhan) do to work and take care of their children. Her response totally shocked me. It seemed like something she has rarely ever encountered there... which is not true in the U.S., where it's fairly common.
Does anyone know which agencies are ideal to work with to at least begin the paperwork process in Taiwan? And, do they have prospective parents compile a profile with photos and such?
I would hope that if an expecting mom saw photos of my daughter and I and how happy, healthy, and well cared for she is... I would think it might buffer some first impressions a check box marked "single" might give.
Remember that many U.S. agencies are not currently accepting applications from ANYONE, including married couples, for NSN infants/toddlers from Taiwan. Even married folks are having some difficulty finding openings now, unless they are open to SN or older children.
As I indicated earlier, Taiwan is a very small country, with few adoptable children. In the past, few foreigners adopted from Taiwan; those who did apply could get matched with one of the available children fairly quickly.
However, the situation has changed dramatically in recent years. First off, a lot more people are now aware that Taiwan permits international adoption.
More importantly, with China tightening its rules and having fewer NSN children available, a great many people who no longer qualify for China or who don't want to wait 3+ years have switched over to Taiwan in order to fulfill their dream of adopting a child of Chinese heritage.
As a result, there are now far more applicants than there are available Taiwanese children. Agencies don't want to see waiting lists of the sort that have developed with China's program, so many have simply declared a moratorium on applications for NSN infants/toddlers.
You will have to look long and hard to find an agency that is accepting applications, even from couples. You will be very lucky if you can find an agency that will accept applications from singles.
If you are open to an older child or a child with special needs, you would stand a better chance at finding an agency that will accept your application.
As to your question about profiles, remember that Taiwan does not have a centralized adoption system. Each U.S. agency works with one or more Taiwanese social welfare organizations. Some of those organizations, but not all, have a program for birthmothers who want to be involved in planning for their child's adoption. The agencies with birthmother programs will set the rules with regard to what information goes to the birthmother, etc.
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that, even if you find an agency that is accepting singles, it will be associated with a birthmother program. And, of course, if you decide to adopt an older child, you will generally not be involved with a birthmother program.
Sharon
Advertisements
After a lotttt of independent research, I've feeling quite discouraged. It seems my best and only option is to attempt domestic adoption, where single parents do find success. This means saying goodbye to my desire for cultural familiarity among my children (my bio daughter is half Taiwanese and being raised bilingual).
This is upsetting and frustrating to me... because, while I would prefer to be married, I am not and feel I'm being penalized for a choice that is only 50% my making.
Single parenthood in America, I believe, is very different than in many other countries. I understand where their notion arrives from... that you cannot take care of a child as a single mother without a father, especially for Chinese/Taiwanese cultures where the father is most important for family vitality. But, again, I think the situation is very different here in the US... where single moms can provide their children with incredible opportunities and growth.
I'm sad that I have been unable to find a open-minded Taiwanese agency open to single mothers. It really was my ideal hope.