Advertisements
Advertisements
I was wondering if anybody has used "speech to text" software for their LD kids? A lot of the time, our homework problems seem to have a lot to do with physically writing answers. Of course, this could also be a diversion tactic, but with processing disorders, I can see how just getting it down on paper can lead to the whole process breaking down. Like if you really have to think about how to spell "people" or how to make a "w", you might not remember what you were trying to say in the first place. KWIM? I am trying to decide if we would get enough benefit to justify the price of something like that.
Also, if you have tried one or more, how did it work technically speaking? Did it understand everyday speech or was it picky about enunciating, etc?
Thanks.
It's a different situation, but my brother had a stroke last May and his right hand is still not usable. His employer has provided a speech to text program so that he can communicate on his job (they communicate a lot by email). You have to speak to it so that the program learns your speech. He has learned to really proof his emails. It typed "plots" for "clots" for instance which sort of changes the sense of what he is trying to say. It is an interesting idea though, and could be a real plus depending on the LD.
Advertisements
Our son has an LD. A few years ago his resource teacher recommended a software. It's called Dragon Naturally Speaking. You can find it at Best Buy or on Amazon. On Amazon, you can at least read customer reviews to see if it's the right product for your needs. We never got the software because we learned that our computer already had a similar program.
I am a special ed teacher, and I just got Dragon Naturally speaking home version 11 for my classroom. I think it is really going to help my students with writing issues. One of my student's parents already got it for him at home. It was less than 60 dollars on Amazon.
It is a challenge to teach the kids how to speak appropriately into the mike - they need to speak clearly and naturally, not . one. word. at. a. time.
I'd try it!
leatherette
I am a special ed teacher, and I just got Dragon Naturally speaking home version 11 for my classroom. I think it is really going to help my students with writing issues. One of my student's parents already got it for him at home. It was less than 60 dollars on Amazon.
It is a challenge to teach the kids how to speak appropriately into the mike - they need to speak clearly and naturally, not . one. word. at. a. time.
I'd try it!
I believe you need high accuracy but that is not very feasible when you are doing it with software. Dragon is the most commonly used but cant be taken for professional purposes. There are services available, which come at a price. [url=http://speechtotextservice.com]Speech To Text - Audio transcription service[/url] is one that I have used for my seminars and webinars. It's the cheapest around I guess.
My sibling who is also an adoptee uses [URL="http://scribeon.com"]ScribeOn[/URL] to convert her audio and video files to text. She has hearing impairment on both ears due to physical abuse. The one who transcribed her files have sharp ears and is an English speaker.
I'm not sure if the software guarantees "error-free" transcription, I only heard it from people who used speech to text software/s.
Advertisements