Advertisements
Advertisements
Just want to reach out to the adoptees who are looking for their birth family or are hesitant about a reunion.
I'm 20 and just reunited with my biological mother last weekend. That day, and the days after have been the best in my life! I never knew there was someone out there who cared about me that much. I feel extremely lucky that I have not one, but two mothers who have my best interest at heart.
The reunion itself was what you would expect. A little awkward, very emotional, more so for her than me. And very, very surreal seeing so much resemblance. It was for lack of a better word a strange thing looking into eyes that are essentially my own.
In the days after, she has pretty much called me, emailed me, or texted me every day. She has been very interested in finding out what I'm up to, and I the same with her. I definitely feel we have a strong mother-son bond, even though we don't know each other well. She has been very open to talking about my biological father. They were high school sweet hearts when I was born, but he was going through lots of stress in those days and their relationship became rocky. Still, she asked if I wanted to meet him, and she actually took the time to track him down and call him when I said yes. And as it turns out, he is thrilled about this, and is willing to meet me. On New Years my biological mother and I are going to meet him. I am astounded and completely gratified at everything she has done for me, I couldn't have had a more selfless biological mother.
A successful reunion came down to this. It came down to having supportful parents, it came down to me as the adoptee being open to the new experience, and it came down to my biological mother sincerely caring about me and having my best interests from the get go. And it was important for me to have my biological mother's best interests at hand as well, e.g., respect each other. I treat her with the same compassion that I treat my mom with, and she treats me with the same interest that my regular mom treats me.
Love is infinite - there is plenty of it to go around. I believe that as long as everyone involved realizes that, the new relationships will be very strong. Meeting my biological mom has not caused me to love my family any less, in fact, I am closer to them than I ever have been.
I hope this story will encourage people to reach out to their biological families. It really is an amazing experience. I am also thankful to the people in this forum who helped answer some of my questions before I went through with this.
Congratulations on your reunion! It sounds wonderful! I think you are absolutely right in your assessment of what makes for a successful reunion and I'm glad you have that. I love to hear positive reunion stories. Thank you for sharing yours.
Advertisements
Ramned,
I am so happy everything is going well. Looking into someones eyes and seeing yourself reflected back is completely surreal...
Keep it going.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Congratulations! Your story is inspiring. Best wishes for continued success in your relationship.
I am so happy that everything is great right now. Reunion can be a roller coaster but wonderful!
Having been in reunion for 8 months and having an amazing, loving, understanding "honeymoon" I think you should be prepared for the "pullback" stage. It is bound to happen I believe. From my (bmom) perspective it is the hardest and saddest thing I have ever dealt with. Get some counseling now so that you will be prepared for this natural stage, at least for one party. I am just "catching up" and trying to believe he is not being dismissive or that he misrepresented his motives. Passive/aggressive? Yes I think so even if he doesn't realize it. He tells me nothing has changed but it definitely has. It has not been easy and fortunately I finally reached out to others and understand that it is not necessarily anything I did just his natural progression.
Whatever you do don't think you are a bad person or not loveable if this happens. I drove myself absolutely crazy for three months when this happened. Seriously almost had a nervous breakdown! My family was worried that I lost 24 pounds in a month. It was awful for everyone.
Please, please if the party that backs off or feels so comfortable that so much contact is not necessary make sure you tell the other person exactly what is going on. Don't leave her or him wondering and guessing what you are thinking. The worst thing about this is he says "nothing changed, he loves me and I need to stop worrying. His actions are so different than what he said that it could not be true. Suddenly he was cold more than warm. Everything changed and there has to be a reason whether it is a good reason or something that is hard to deal with like anger or sadness or dissolusion on his part.
Please, just don't change the relationship without communicating honestly and completely.
If the other party is healthy they will understand and accept it lovingly and not question themselves to the point of self hate and self doubt!
I still don't have that from him but am learning to move ahead and now I want to cut him off sometimes. I can not do it to him though......Ever.