Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, I just posted something similar at the older child adoption forum, but see that this might get a different response, or a more varied one. My husband and I are planning to adopt an older child via the foster system. We have two biological children, a daughter 5 and a son not yet 2 (but would be before the paperwork would be finalized.)
Our plans were to accept a child younger than 10 and perhaps a sibling group. This would, of course, change the existing order in our family. I spent hours last night trying to find one success story, but came away thinking that perhaps we are the most unwise adults alive and that we are placing our children in harms way.
We aren't naive enough to believe this will be a walk in the park or that there won't be pain and growth. We believe that this is a call on our lives, we want to grow our family, and our hearts break knowing that there are children without families when we have love and family to give.
Our daughter prays for God to give us a child without a family so that we may have more children and thinks a sister to play with would be wonderful. We all pray that He would chose our child and that we would be prepared for that child.
But now I am a terrified mama of two wanting more. Can anyone say that they adopted out of order with little little ones and would do it again? Would anyone share their good story (realizing that the best stories do require overcoming)?
I'm sorry this is so long. But, I don't want to live discouraged.