Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone how is it going ? Where are you in the process? I have been trying for a long time. Fostered a few times but looking to adopt. Also I am single. Looking at this new bill it worries me SB 1188 or is it 1888. Trying to make one of the major criteria if you can adopt is if your married.
I hadn't heard of this... did it pass? I'll have to look it up myself. It sounds pretty ridiculous, considering that there are 11,000 children in care in this state. If that's the case, I think it's clear that taking things into account for "the children's best interest" is a hoax for Arizona...
I hope things have worked out for you!
Advertisements
It's SB 1188 and yes it passed and went into effect in July 2011. It basically states that "preference" for an adoptive family is a "married man and woman."
I don't think it was meant to hinder singles per say but that was obviously one result. Agencies were really watching it and are tracking statistics for single foster parents to see the impact on the system.
The good news is that one of the "exceptions" of sorts is if the adoptive parent has an established relationship with the child, in other words, if you are the foster parent and there isn't a relative who can and wants to adopt, then you are next to be considered and it doesn't matter if you are not a married man and woman.
Hi,
I am also a single trying to adopt in Arizona. I don't love that law either. My case worker said it summarized to be that, all things being equal, a couple must be chosen before a single. She mentioned however that since I have my PhD in special education, that might help me make things "unequal" and get chosen sooner. She also said that if I were the foster parent, that would put me ahead. So I'm going to adopt through foster care but that's tricky too because you have to choose adoption only, or foster care. With adoption only, you're in the state registry and she said that few children are trickling all the way down to the registry because most kids are getting adopted by a family member or by their foster parent. If I provide foster care, it means providing foster care and not knowing if that child will become available or not. If a child does become available but I already have a foster placement, it wouldn't work because I couldn't disrupt my foster placement. I'm hoping it will all work out but there are a lot of things to consider aren't there?! I'm using AAFC...has anyone heard anything about the agencies here in AZ.
The law was probably put into place to keep gay people from adopting in Arizona. I don't know what difference it'll make, don't most states give preference to married straight couples anyway?