Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a female adoptee who was born 5/16/1966 in Denver Colorado, the adoption was finalized in 9/67 in Utah. I have an amazing 14 year old son who was born with several genetic problems and is now in the process of possibly being diagnosed with another. I owe it to him to try to find my birth family to obtain some medical history so that we can find out if there are other genetic problems to watch for. It is just not possible to "check" for "any" genetic problems and this last possible diagnosis was unexpected and may be life threatening. I need to do everything I can to help him. I don't want to intrude on my birthparents - but its not about me or them...its about my child. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
I am sorry to hear about your son. Many genetic diseases skip a generation which come out of the blue for our kids...
Having said that my heart sank when I heard your adoption was finalized in Utah...
There is a mutual consent registry with the state which would make it easy if there is a match.
[url=http://laws.adoption.com/statutes/utah-laws.html]Utah Adoption Laws[/url]
Utah Department of Heath
Vital Statistics
288 North 1460 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84145-0500
(801) 538-6105
If not in the registry, you can try to petition the courts (which should be allowed) to unseal your records for cause. I would ask your sons doctors to sign a note stating they need family health history to give them a starting place. You need to file the petition in the county court where your adoption was finalized. I do not know the proceedure in Utah but Washington was simply a one page form that asked specific questions to be filled in.
Your other option is if you were an agency baby to contact them and see what they can do as far as trying to contact although it would be confidential as they cannot disclose and would have to act as an intermediary.
If none of the above pans out then you could take your story to the local media and see if they can help.
I am sorry you have to go through this. I would hand deliver and talk to people if at all possible to speed this along.
When my records were unsealed in Washington the process took WAY TOO long when it is a medical emergency...that is what people do not understand, even if the records are unsealed you still have to find them.
For what it is worth the info I received was so incredibly helpful.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
I so appreciate the support and advice. I have located the court and am waiting to hear back from the agency. I never thought about the media angle but I will tuck that away...there isn't much I wouldn't do for this amazing child I was blessed with. Again, thank you so much for the ideas. I didn't know I would find myself here.