Advertisements
Advertisements
Dear Sir,
I write to you on the occasion of Fathers Day Җ a day of gifts, mostly ties. I have received my share of strange gifts from my child, intended to inspire, or induce laughter. A couple of years ago, I used it as an excuse to indulge myself of some expensive electronics. But today I consider other gifts.
My daughter is now 8. She becomes more and more aware of the world we live in. Through friends, media, experiences, she learns of the complicated, inspiring, and at the same time often heartless world. When she was younger, she could not express what she saw, or reflect upon it. Now that she is a bit older, I can see the world through her eyes, in part. For my childs perspective, I give thanks.
This would have been very different for me 20 years ago. When I was younger, I lacked experience to appreciate the learning process. I lacked the perspective, the strength of identity, to guide a young person through this enlightenment. I would not have been able to see it through my sonҒs eyes through your son֒s eyes. I hope you have had the joy of viewing the world through your sons eyes.
Fatherhood, for me, is also about pride. We accept the responsibility for the care of our family. In a traditional sense, we provide food and shelter; we bring home the ғbread. With that accomplishment comes pride in our family. On this FatherԒs Day, I feel that for my family. It gives me strength to face the challenges in my life. I hope you feel it for your family. For the pride of fatherhood, I give thanks.
But my pride is tempered with a color of sadness and a tinge of shame. Although I am successful now, fatherhood was too much of a challenge 20 years ago. I was unable to provide enough for my child. I was unable to establish a family. In a way, you were a surrogate parent to me, shouldering a burden that I, still a child, could not.
You were there, with open arms, and gave what I could not. You adopted him; raised him; loved him. You have succeeded with your fathers business. You have provided for your family. You have guided a child into adulthood. For who you are, what you have given me, and what you have given my son, I give thanks.
Most of all, you are the gift I celebrate this FatherҒs day.
Beautiful Ferret....brought tears to my eyes.
A wonderful Father's Day to you as well.....for both your children:love:
SM
Advertisements