Advertisements
Advertisements
The last (long) WIC discussion brought this up.
I have continued to use WIC since our little ones' adoption. They qualify because they receive state insurance (in addition to our insurance). We do not qualify for WIC income-wise. So, my question: Do you still use WIC even if your income does not qualify you? They ask how much our income is and I tell them truthfully. It is much more than their guidelines and I sometimes feel like I shouldn't be using it! What would you do?
Advertisements
We do use it after AD's adoption. It saves us money (not much) but every little bit helps. I do for more than that reason though. My feeling is that we'll have more little ones, and our WIC office is horribly hard to get into. With an ongoing relationship though I can go on a walk-in day and they will get us set up. If I gave up the ongoing relationship I would have to wait for an appointment and with AD it took 4 months to get an appointment.
We too were overincome for WIC, but due to the kid's medical...they received it. I used it just because it was some help. They all have medical issues and it does get expensive, even with their AAP. When it finally came down to one being eligible I dropped it...too much of a hassle.
We use it and I don't feel bad at all! Honestly we make just a little more than the amounts and it really helps out. I can use the $200 a month on other things for my kids.
because L receives medical she is eligible for WIC. I see it as a resource for her, so her lunches for school are made up of what I get from WIC for her.
In the other WIC thread, I stated I felt extremely embarrassed when I first started using the checks when she was still a foster child, however, it wasn't about me, it was about her and since I've made that switch in my brain I don't think twice about it. Just one more parenting thing I do for her.
Advertisements
Kid is eligible so I see no reason not to. Well, and we *will* qualify if we adopt three children, I'm pretty sure. However, to be honest, unless we had a special need (like Pediasure or special formula), we wouldn't.
I use and have NO problem with it!! We def. don't qualify based on income, but as everyone else has stated son kept his medicaid and so will baby girl so I totally take advantage of the help offered.
I still use it. I make too much income-wise and we would be okay without it, but I am still far from rich and will take all the help I can get. Using WIC to save money on groceries allows me to provide some "extras" for my kids that I otherwise might not be able to afford.
We dont use it even though they can get it due to Medicaid. They get a subsidy, so that is far enough money to provide them food. I'm not sure if we would qualify or not based upon income...but I feel its my job to provide food for my adopted kids especially since we do have a subsidy based upon their medical needs.
Advertisements
I believe that using Wic before adoption is an option for a foster parent to consider--especially with the supplementation of special formulas. After the adoption, the choice is the parent's on whether to apply or not. However, if a child continues to receive Medicaid (depending on the adoption settlement), WIC might continue according to the local office policy. If the adopted child does not receive Medicaid, then the WIC office may request financial proof for elligibility purposes from the parents.
i didn't the first time because i didn't know...had i, i would have. when i was taking another fs to the wic office the workers were actually the ones to tell me about it and encouraged me to sign ds back up. however, we were moving in a few months so i just did not. the second time i did not...but only because the workers at this particular office were clueless when ds was my fs....(they said he made TOO LITTLE money to qualify and wouldn't allow him to get wic as a foster child!<<we don't have many foster children where i live and we had transported this one in from another state, lol.>>)...and i didn't feel like fighting it so i did not....anyways...if they couldn't get that right...they'd never get services linked to his state aid card but after adoption right. they were horrible to me and no amount of free cheese and peanut butter could get me to go back there once a month!
I continued to use it for my adopted son because he qualified and they paid for his Pediasure. Thankfully. If they allow it, it's not breaking the rules or taking advantage or failing to provide yourself... some people don't like the hassle or the shame or the irritation. Whatever. But if you WANT to use it and the state offers it to you, no guilt! We no longer use it since my son is off Pediasure, but our fd is so we use it for her.
We would not qualify based on financial guidelines but my little guy has been on tube feedings since two weeks after the adoption. They cost $900 month now. Yes I get a subsidy but monthly comes to just $600 (20 day). My private insurance doesn't cover it at all. We don't take the other items they offer because I can afford those and feel as a parent its my duty to do so. I feel WIC is an important service for those in need. My not taking something that we can may help someone else be eligible.
Advertisements
My son qualifies for wic but my daughter does not. We chose not to continue wic after adoption. We considered using it but chose not to because we did not need it. If we needed it we would have used it or as others have said if he needed something special we would use it.
We don't qualify income wise but we do qualify because the children have state insurance. We choose to use the program because we feel that we are putting OUR tax dollars into the program and we meet the guidelines. Why not utilize it? Programs that don't get used tend to disappear. I have no shame in utilizing any program that is available to our family. I'll take all the perks I can :)