Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I am still in the very early steps of the adoption process (research etc.) I am looking to adopt a child or a sibling set of two between 0-5 years old.
Here's something I've been wondering about...
We have a bilingual household in which we speak primarily/ almost exclusively our second language in the home and English outside of the home.
I'm sure this won't be a huge issue for a pre-verbal infant. But, if we are placed with an older child/ children, this may prove to be a difficult adjustment for them.
Has anyone else had any experience with this? I do know some families who have adopted abroad and the children quickly adjust to an all-English household. But, I'm curious to know your thoughts on how best to integrate new children into the home.
Thanks!
Personally from my experience it would be best if the main care giver speak the language the child will need in school and the other parent the language that is spoken in the home. We do this and it has never been an issue, from the first meeting i spoke one language (the language of where we live) to our daughter and my husband the language we speak at home. She has no problems with this and does recognise easily the difference between both languages, if i make a mistake and speak to her in English she laughs and says I sound funny even though i speak this language with many other people including my husband. My daughter was 9 at the time of adoption and spoke neither of the languages now used.
Advertisements