Advertisements
Advertisements
[FONT="Tahoma"]Hello all. I've been reading through the forums for a while now but I still have so many questions! The question list is long for me but I think I should start at the beginning of the process. I'm worried about the application. So I thought I'd see what you guys thought of my situation.
Ok, about me - I will be 21 years old at the end of October which is the minimum age to become a foster parent in my state (Missouri). I'm working a minimum wage job as a dishwasher (been there three and a half years) but I am in college for an associate's degree in Early Childhood Development. I'll graduate in the spring of '12.
About him - My fiance is 29 years old. He is disabled due to problems with his back/spine caused by a genetic disorder. He receives a monthly disability check. When he was younger he lived in a bad neighborhood and admits he got into some trouble. We're going to get his criminal record soon but he knows that he has had more than a few misdemeanor battery charges because of bar fights and things like that. He no longer drinks but was never an 'alcoholic'. He did receive probation in 2006 on one charge which he completed and hasn't been in any trouble since then.
About us - We've been together three and a half years but we don't have any solid marriage plans. Right now we are living in a trailer park but our home is very clean and well kept. We have four dogs (never could turn away strays) that are all up to date on their shots and spayed/neutered. We have a cat also spayed and utd on shots and all have continuing veterinary care as needed or annually. We do have a large second bedroom with an accompanying bathroom. I recently took out a loan to begin building credit so we can hopefully purchase a house after I graduate.
We were hoping to start the process since it can be lengthy as soon as possible. Should we wait until after I graduate? When I find a career instead of job? After we buy a house? Will they ever even consider us? I know most of you aren’t experts but what do you think in your opinion? We are hoping to foster but with the intention of adoption when and if the time comes.
[/FONT]
:thanks:
I'm not sure what the requirements are for your state, but it never hurts to ask. You can go to an informational meeting where you live and find out...Or maybe you can Google Minimun Foster Standards for (insert state here) and maybe find out that way. Good Luck!
Advertisements
I believe it all hinges on whether events that occurred 5 years ago will prevent y'all from "passing" the background check. Like previously said, take the first step & attend an informational meeting.
Our records were spotless, but We were denied a license for foster care because I "would get too attached". Grrr! It might just depend on the CW.
I wrote about that: [url=http://foster2forever.com/2011/06/top-3-ways-to-delay-getting-a-foster-care-license.html]Top 3 Ways to Delay Getting a Foster Care License - Foster2Forever[/url]
Think waiting till after graduating would be a great idea. And having a career type job would be even better. That way when you applied, it would show you reaching goals and achieving. You're young, and being a bit older would probably be a plus, too.
If career didn't happen right away, though, I'd go ahead and get started. AFA your partner's background, don't think your partner is the first person with a background like that, wouldn't worry about it. Especially if there's been no trouble for years.
Best of success to you!
I don't ever want to discourage anyone and I'm a big believer in getting informed before make a decision- that being said it sounds like you have a LOT going on and you need to think about how kids are going to fit into that. Stuff as simple as who is going to take them to school and doctors appointments and therapy. What level of need would you be able to care for. Could you afford to care for an extra child on a limited income? Subsidies cover some but not all. Only you can decide what is right for you and your family but these points may be a place to start.
Thank you, Ksaito. I really just wanted somebody to tell me I wasn't being silly and trying for something impossible.
Foster2Forever- I didn't know they would turn you down for that...I would think that most foster parents would struggle with that but as long as you understand it's part of the process I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Thank you for your link, it's an eye opener because I do live in a rural town, we do plan to move as soon as I graduate, and we don't have any children. I am really interested in eye openers like that.
alys1- The thing that has been bothering me is that I feel like life will be more hectic when I do have a 'real' job because I'll be more obligated to not miss and things especially since I'd be new there whereas I've worked at my job now longer than anyone else in the department. It doesn't help that I know so many women (five actually) that have recently had babies that don't have jobs, some of their husband's don't even have jobs yet they all seem to be doing fine...but I'm sure it isn't as easy as it seems.
rmsept81- I know you are right. My fiancee reminds me of this all the time. I've always had the mentality of "it'll work out" but it could probably work out better if we wait. I think I'm just impatient!
However, I guess going to an informational meeting wouldn't hurt, right? :)
Advertisements
absolutely right! Going to get more information always helps. Not only will it help you find out more about requirements, it will also give you more information to decide if this is right for you both at this time.
I thought about fostering for more than 3 years before I went to the first meeting. I wish I hadnt waited. What I learned convinced me that the time was now.
It has been my experience that during the licensing process they have been more concerned with how you dealt with past issues than what those issues were...
You've been together 3 1/2 years and you're not even 21? Which means he was a 25ish year old man dating you, who was not even an adult yet? I'd think they'd be a bit concerned about that.
I agree with going to the informational meeting. Talk openly about your situation and see what they say. Here they do a financial background check on applicants and also look at their 10-year history for work and living arrangements. They want to see a solid background of continuous work and housing. Applicants who don't have much income and a very short work history (or history of bouncing from one unskilled job to another) are not considered to be good applicants b/c it's possible they are doing it just for the money. They want to prove that you can afford kids and aren't doing it to use the stipend to supplement your own lifestyle.
I know that's not what *you* would be doing, but they've told us that's how they see it.
Growinghome- I'm nervous that I'll feel like I waited too long but I'm also nervous that I'll feel like I began too early! Maybe I'm just being too nervous!
Scrapsathome- Yes I was seventeen when we met and he was twenty-six. Sometimes things just work out even when they don't seem like they'd be right.
swd- I understand that. I can't imagine anything scarier than people having children as a source of income! We really want to grow our 'forever' family and I hadn't thought about the money provided to care for them until they are reunited or adopted. I've been making plans of how much we could put toward them each month and what WE could cut to have more for a child or children. I always knew they provided for the children but for some reason now that I'm thinking about doing it, I forgot.
Advertisements
I think anyone that is mature enough and stable enough to atleast support themselves as a couple would be considered. Sooo many children need homes. Good Luck!