Advertisements
Advertisements
So after the TPR trial, the caseworker was explaining the process from here to legally adopt. I said something about "90 days" and she said, no, there is nothing. The kids won't be taken from us now; they are ours. I tried to clarify what I thought *could* go "wrong" in the 90 days and she said no, stating something about the case.
My hubby took it as something about this case made it where there was no concern now, just a matter of getting the paperwork in order. But I really did think every case has the 90 days after TPR for family to step forward (though they didn't in the last five years).
Is the 90 days universal? Or did I misunderstand? or?
Our agency is giving us the lawyer information today so I will contact him ASAP also. I'm hoping he can light a fire under CPS's rear a little as the caseworker said that because she is going on vacation this month, she probably can't be ready for the Dec 15th staffing. *I* think they could be if they chose to be :)
Advertisements
Appeal period aside (that is for the BPs only), you're good.
In my experience.. Post TPR, the kids are in state custody. the state has total control over where the kids go. Its too late for family members to come forward. The goal is adoption by you. Congratulations, mom!
Our 90 day period was all about making sure we were happy and unlikely to disrupt. We moved form a CW to an AW. There's a ton of paperwork.. couple trips to a notary. Then it was just a matter of waiting it out and getting a court date
The law in Texas states that parents have 15 days to file a statement of point of appeal after TPR. Relatives have 90 days to come forward after TPR. That's why you can't finalize for 90 days after TPR.
When DFPS terminates parental rights, certain relatives may request managing conservatorship of the child. The relative has 90 days to file suit, starting from the day the parent-child relationship is terminated. The suit can be an original suit or a suit for modification.
Texas Family Code 102.006
Relatives who are eligible to request managing conservatorship are:
• an adult sibling of the child;
• a grandparent of the child;
• an aunt who is a sister of a parent of the child; or
• an uncle who is a brother of a parent of the child.
However during the 90 days, you can begin the adoption process. They'll transfer the case to the adoption unit, start putting together the HSEGH, etc. You'll be given subsidy paperwork, etc. So that when the 90 days is up, you are ready to go.
oh, none of those relatives are available.
Just gotta play the waiting and paperwork game, I guess.
I'm so excited. The kids took the news SUPER well.
I think they were just ready for not moving all over creation anymore.
Well, and they like us :)