Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi All
My husband and I were approved to adopt in September. We originally said that we would adopt a child under the age of two, our SW has recently asked us if we would consider a child of around 2 and a half. I am asking if anyone has adopted a child of this age?, all experiences would be very much appreciated.
We are particualy concerned about how a child of this age would attach/bond with us. We are a very loving family and have so much love to give....
:thanks: in advance
Advertisements
Hi,
Im very new to the whole thing but would like to say congratulations.
May I ask, how long did it take you to be approved? I know everyone is different, I am just trying to sum up an average.
I reckon most people take between 8/9 months - 1.5 years nowadays. It can be up to 2 years for some people. I only know of one agency that try to approve people in about 3 months or slightly over. Perhaps the recent government pressure may mean more people see a timeline of 8/9 months rather than over a year, but it's not been long enough to tell yet
HI
My husband and I were approved as adoptive parents just this week but will be going to matching panel on 4th June to adopt a 2.5 yr old girl.
Things take a little longer with this age group due to them being a little more nervous of strangers but alot will depend on what the child has been through previously and if they have any attachment issues that are above what you would usually see from a 2 yr old.
I wish you the very best of luck and promise you it will be worth it in the end.
Mary
Hi there generally children of two and half attach very well, dificulties are more common in children over four/five. But does depend on the child's back ground.
PS i am a birth mother and social worker
Advertisements
Hi. My husband and I have recently adopted a little girl who was two and half at the time.she is absolutely lovely and had no problem s forming a bond with us at all.As with all these things you have to take it slowly and take your cues from the child but 6 months on our little girl is happy and has settled so well .She has also formed great attachment s to my older children as well as all her nieces and nephews.
2 yr olds are a handful especially if you have not had experience with them before but it is a whole lot of fun learning along the way.
Wish you and your husband all the best