Advertisements
Advertisements
My Husband and I are an interracial couple, I am black, he is white and after spending huge amounts of money on fertility treatments, with no success, we are looking into adoption. Its just overwhelming and difficult to narrow down what agencies to use, homestudy, costs etc.
Any assistance and direction will be greatly appreciated.
Please recommend an Agency.
Thank you.
We might be better able to point you in a direction if we know what you are looking for. Do you want domestic infant adoption? International? Foster? Not sure? And what state are you in? There is lots of tailored advice we can give you :)
We're doing domestic infant adoption (AA) and are currently a waiting family!
Advertisements
Yes, Please give more info. about what type of adoption you want. If you dont know, the book, The Complete Adoption Guide really helped me. My DH and I are also an interracial couple, and we have our awesome 9 month-old Son and plan to finalize in two weeks. It's definitely a strange process, but one that can bring great joy. Good luck to you.
Hi ladies thanks so much for responding to my posting. We are looking into domestic adoption and have spoken with 2 Agencies already; Lifetime and Adoption Association but I still feel overwhelmed with the choices and so much information to filter through. Did you use an agency, if so which one, how long did it take.
Any assistance will be highly appreciated.
I just sent you a private message wih the agency specifics but forgot timeline. We completed homestudy from sept-nov 2010, went "live" with agency December, matched 12/13/11. Family decided to parent three weeks later. Rematched in a few days and brought son home 2/11/11.
You did not have a long wait at all that is awesome. I pray that we will.not be waiting long either.
I will send a message to your Georgia contact.
Thanks again.
Advertisements
Best wishes on your journey. My husband and I waited about a year, but was gender specific, and had limits on certain aspects that we could handle (we have 2 bio children) such as substance abuse. More so Alcohol. Although the more we learned over time, the more open we were to certain situations, and learned what to avoid.
Discuss with your husband your limitations; such as financial, openness with the child's bio family, health and or mental issues in the family history, or if already born with the child. Lots of preparation, get a good ethical lawyer, keep the adoption agency on their toes, and hopefully they are doing their job educating you and your husband. So keep thinking, asking questions, be logical, but enjoy those nice moments.
My husband and I are also an interracial couple. Our domestic infant adoption took a little more than 10 months start to finish. I'm from GA. If you have specific questions, please PM me.
theLBs
Yes, Please give more info. about what type of adoption you want. If you dont know, the book, The Complete Adoption Guide really helped me. My DH and I are also an interracial couple, and we have our awesome 9 month-old Son and plan to finalize in two weeks. It's definitely a strange process, but one that can bring great joy. Good luck to you.
Congrats Lori on your upcoming finalization!!
vernellinnj
Congrats Lori on your upcoming finalization!!
Thanks, Vernell! Monday the 19th...I'm hoping all the details are covered so we can get this DONE before the end of the year-no reason to think they're not, but with all steps of his process I don't count on anything until it's done! Also, we're going to see his firstmom on Sunday. He is standing on his own and cruising...he's gonna' start walking any day. I cannot believe he is almost 10 months old! Hope your little man is doing well!
Advertisements
Regardless of any information you gather, I'd advise you to research, research, research before signing up with any agency and handing over your money. Read the small print, talk frankly with people who have adopted through those agencies, and search through the archives on adoption.com. This process may seem tedious, but it can save you a world of frustration and heartache in the end.
Best of luck to you!
I was browsing Google and came across this post. My Husband and I are trying to start the adoption process, but also do not know where to begin. The only thing that I do know for sure is that we have an attorney that will do all of our Legal Documents for Free. She does not help with anything else. She is only there after we are placed with a child. So, basically I need guidance on where to start looking. We live in Georgia and when I look on the internet for information or places it is Overwhelming! Please feel free to ask me any wuestions that may help you help us! Your help would be greatly appreciated!!
[QUOTE=KristaW]I was browsing Google and came across this post. My Husband and I are trying to start the adoption process, but also do not know where to begin. The only thing that I do know for sure is that we have an attorney that will do all of our Legal Documents for Free. She does not help with anything else. She is only there after we are placed with a child. So, basically I need guidance on where to start looking. We live in Georgia and when I look on the internet for information or places it is Overwhelming! Please feel free to ask me any wuestions that may help you help us! Your help would be greatly appreciated!![/QU
Hello Krista!
what age range are you looking to adopt? my husband and I went thru our state dhs. It doesn't cost to go thru DHS. Each state has a heart gallery. We just fininshed the whole process now we are just waiting on our homestudy report to be completed.
Advertisements
Hi women thanks so much for addressing my publishing. We are looking into household adopting and have verbal with 2 Organizations already; Life-time and Usage Organization but I still experience confused with the options and so much details to narrow through. Did you use an organization, if so which one, how lengthy did it take.
Any support will be extremely valued.