Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
My husband has a student from a previous year that has had DCF come in 3 times since the start of the school year. So far they have not done anything. This kid is a good kid but he is getting the living hell beat out of him. We have discussed having him live with us. I'm not sure what the options or process would be. There is of course the possibility of other family taking him in. I am just cruious of the hows and what ifs. I'm worried that if DCF get's of their butts and does something, once he is in the system we won't have a chance. HE really trusts and looks up to my husband.
has anyone experienced anything like this before? Obviously we wouldn't snatch the child away. How would we let it be known though that we are interested in having him with us?
Once upon a time i served as fictive kin to a former student who was in a foster placement. At the time i was not yet licensed. I was asked if i would be interested by our counselor, said yes, and was subsequently placed with the girl. You do not have to be related, just have a prior relationship to be considered fictive kin.
Like Barksum said, this is nowhere near an adoptive situation. and while parents may at some point choose to relinquish rights, it's not something that any of us can ask. there is generally an order in which things happen and the ending of the parent-child relationship is only done when there are no more options left.
Advertisements
robin, did you receive financial assistance while she lived with you or did you take on that responsibility yourself?
this breaks it down step by step the requirements in Florida. [url=http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2399]Questions about Emancipation in Florida[/url]
Looks like it won't be an option as the child is 14 and Florida requires that you be 16.
Since the child is older I would imagine that it would be harder to place him potentially making it easier to place him with you.
Have you contacted DFCS? they would probably be able to tell you where to start.
Greenrobin has the right idea. Your hubby should just let the kid know directly that there is always room for him in your home if he needs it and give the kid his number. Lots of teachers here do fictive kin placements. My understanding here is that there is no fostercare stipend but that if the kid gets child support or SSI that would come to whoever he was living with.
In our state anyone with a prior relationship to the child could be considered as a kinship placement if the child were to be removed by the state. Kinship foster parents are usually allowed to have the child in their home while they are obtaining their foster license.
Advertisements
Nope. Absolutely all on us, although sometimes their is a stipend. Our circumstances did not meet that criteria...if there even is a kinship stipend here. Oh, and here you do not need to be licensed to accept kinship placement, just need to pass a very cursory background check.
rocknrollmama
robin, did you receive financial assistance while she lived with you or did you take on that responsibility yourself?
There was a couple in my PRIDE classes who had taken in a series of children from the husband's school... he worked in an inner city type school. I got the impression that something like this happened: the school called in a complaint that the children were always hungry, dirty, and sleeping in class, absent too much etc. Then said, "And they're in teacher X's class, he and his wife work miracles with these children, are foster parents, and he'd be willing to provide a home for these 2 siblings." When they were taking the class, they had just gotten a 2 girls from his class, even though their license was lapsed.
I've known several people who took in children informally -- the children were living in hell, and over time transitioned to living with the other family. I've done that in a less intense way, keeping my door open to a series of children through the years, in several neighborhoods. So the child never lived with me, but I fed them, and helped teach them that life could be peaceful, helped them learn skills they needed. Some I paid to work as teens... so there was a pretext for the parent to allow them to come over.
DCF may not be removing because they think they have nowhere to put the child. If you were to offer, it might accelerate a removal. You could call FL CASA to ask for advice, their purpose is to help children. Same for local agencies, those working with low income folks, legal aid orgs, and/or places that work with foster children/ parents. There must be a "best" way to put your hat in the ring, and someone will give you good advice about it. I sure commend you for caring.
You can contact DCF and get info, but if you do decide to have someone underage stay with you, recognize that there can be complexities that arise if it is a totally informal arrangement. Like getting medical care, even vaccinations for school, etc.
Another thing to consider when you have someone living with you is that if there are any felonies (like, say, drug possession) you may be in the line of fire for being charged, as well. It depends on what kind of felony, but with drugs, for example, if they are stashed in a common area of the house you could come under your area's drug laws and may face being charged, having your property confiscated, any of your children removed and placed into foster care, eviction if you're renting, etc. We had to do some homework when we were asked to have a young relative stay with us. There were lots of complexities to consider regarding that situation, which is how I learned about some of the issues.
So when considering having someone live with you, do your homework and know what you need to do to keep everyone, even the person who is staying with you, safe.
Sheesh. Everything I write is kind of a downer, huh? I don't mean to discourage you, just to make you aware of some of the things that are often not considered up front. It's just that if you do your homework and go forward understanding what you need, everyone does better.
In california, at a certain age (I believe 14??), the child can take a very uncomplicated form to the court, set a court date and become emancipated.
Why couldn't you direct him to do something like this? It would not be adoption, but as long as the child can prove that he has a roof under his head, the judge will often allow the child emancipation.
Advertisements
KarenInCa
In california, at a certain age (I believe 14??), the child can take a very uncomplicated form to the court, set a court date and become emancipated.
Why couldn't you direct him to do something like this? It would not be adoption, but as long as the child can prove that he has a roof under his head, the judge will often allow the child emancipation.
I brought this up earlier and it doesn't apply as in Florida you have to have parental permission and must be 16.
Jillie_sweetheart
I brought this up earlier and it doesn't apply as in Florida you have to have parental permission and must be 16.
It might be true that the parent has to agree in Ca as well. I've never been faced with it. Seems ironic though, that if a family situation is SOOO stressed, and that a child needs/wants out so desperately BECAUSE of the parents, they would not normally agree to emancipation, which kind of defeats the whole process of allowing the child (very young adult) to have a say in where (s)he lives.
KarenInCa
It might be true that the parent has to agree in Ca as well. I've never been faced with it. Seems ironic though, that if a family situation is SOOO stressed, and that a child needs/wants out so desperately BECAUSE of the parents, they would not normally agree to emancipation, which kind of defeats the whole process of allowing the child (very young adult) to have a say in where (s)he lives.
Yeah it makes no sense. I had to laugh when I read that. I am willing to bet that 9 times out of ten that it is because the child has crummy parents that they want to be emancipated.
There are other situations though that it is needed. For me I was going to college at 16 and my parents were in another state. It didn't make sense for me not to be able to go to a doctor or to have to wait while they got permission to treat.
With that said you might want to talk to DFCS about a Legal Guardianship. Some states even do a subsidized guardianship.
Just all things to consider but I imagine that contacting the agency handling his abuse case would be able to direct on where to get started. From what I have seen with older boys especially DFCS they are harder to place and if there is a prior connection between the child and your husband.
Last update on November 10, 10:19 am by Sachin Gupta.
KarenInCa
Yeah it makes no sense. I had to laugh when I read that. I am willing to bet that 9 times out of ten that it is because the child has crummy parents that they want to be emancipated.
There are other situations though that it is needed. For me I was going to college at 16 and my parents were in another state. It didn't make sense for me not to be able to go to a doctor or to have to wait while they got permission to treat.
With that said you might want to talk to DFCS about a Legal Guardianship. Some states even do a subsidized guardianship.
Just all things to consider but I imagine that contacting the agency handling his abuse case would be able to direct on where to get started. From what I have seen with older boys especially DFCS they are harder to place and if there is a prior connection between the child and your husband.
Last update on November 10, 10:19 am by Sachin Gupta.
Advertisements
My first foster child was considered a kinship placement because I had cared for his older sibling at the day care where I am a teacher. I hadn't even completed the application process, never mind licensing! So, I think it is very possible for your husband, as the boy's teacher, to be considered kinship. I would definitely check with whatever social services agency applies and let them know that you are open to taking in this boy if he does come into care.
What I would change about film student’s study is the cancellation of writing assignments. I understand they are part of the educational process, but I find them entirely useless. Moreover, they take a lot of precious time which could have been used for training or practical tasks. I decided to order my essays from APlusEssay. It is the best essay writing service based on my experience.
Last update on July 9, 3:31 am by riiupw afrass.