Advertisements
Advertisements
What country? Not all countries allow independent adoption. As an example, Ethiopia doesn't.
And if a country does relatively few international adoptions, it often means that the country doesn't have clear systems and processes. The situation for independent adoptions can be very, very risky in such countries, since a prospective parent can have a devil of a time finding reputable people with which to work in-country, and a clear understanding of the process. Moreover, countries without clear laws, policies and procedures tend to have a good deal of corruption in the adoption process, and you can get involved in scams that will cost you thousands of dollars and never provide you with a child whom you can bring home.
My advice to you is that it's often cheaper to use a reputable agency, even if it seems as if you could do better on your own.
Sharon
Advertisements
What country? Not all countries allow independent adoption. As an example, Ethiopia doesn't.
And if a country does relatively few international adoptions, it often means that the country doesn't have clear systems and processes. The situation for independent adoptions can be very, very risky in such countries, since a prospective parent can have a devil of a time finding reputable people with which to work in-country, and a clear understanding of the process. Moreover, countries without clear laws, policies and procedures tend to have a good deal of corruption in the adoption process, and you can get involved in scams that will cost you thousands of dollars and never provide you with a child whom you can bring home.
My advice to you is that it's often cheaper to use a reputable agency, even if it seems as if you could do better on your own.
Sharon
We are working on adopting from Congo. They do allow independent adoptions and we have an amazing man who is trust worthy and works with many agencies who is helping us as well as a close friend who is facilitating and has successfully adopted two children from Congo. I was just looking to see if anyone else has done it. It is such a long process.
We are working on an independent adoption from Uganda. You are right; it is a very, very long process and there has been more than once where we were so frustrated it was tempting to throw in the towel. In the end, though, it has worked out for us and A came home just over a month ago.
Advertisements
We are doing our adoption independently, but we are adopting relatives. My sister did passed away in 2007, and I'm worried because Liberia is in the process our passing new laws for their adoption process. Is anyone in the process of adopting from Liberia. I'm worried they may have a problem since we are not going through an agency, but we don't see the need to when they are family and agencies cost an arm and a leg.
Has anyone ever heard of Wren Song or DRC Services? They help facilitate independ adoptions from DRC.
Honestly, if your states does your Homestudy quickly and you get yoor dossier ready teh process should not take that long (14 months). There are so many orphans. If you have all yoru ducks in a row you should be fine.
Im looking to adopt independently through south African now, its hard cause i dont have a lawyer or anyone to puch us in the right direction.
Has anyone on here adopted independently from Africa or know someone who has?