Advertisements
Advertisements
Please forgive me if my question seems too basic. But what exactly should we be expecting to come out?
We have been matched to a baby boy (!) to be born in early March. I talked with my doctor (who also spoke with a lactation consultant) about what I should do to try to induce lactation. My doctor thought it was good that I was going to try, but given my history didn't sound too optimistic. I took estrogen for 4 days, last day on Tuesday. I started pumping yesterday. I was completely expecting to get a big nothing for 2 weeks or so. But on only the second time I pumped, a brownish liquid came out of one breast. It has been coming out consistently. This evening it started coming out the other breast as well.
Thanks.
Is this what I should be expecting? Should I be saving this? It is only a few drops and hardly seems like there would be a way to save it. I was caught off guard by something happening so quickly.
Congrats on being matched!!! thats awesome!!!
As far as the liquid coming out... i never had Brownish milk, but everyone is different. but absolutely save EVERY DROP that comes out. When i started i pumped like 6-8 times a day and id get like 2 drops at every pumping and i just added them to the small 2 oz medela bottles that came with my pump and then at the end of 2 days i would take my whole 1/2 an ounce and put it in a freezer bag and freeze it. Kinda awaste of freezer bags, but when your inducing every drop counts and is a huge benefit to your baby. Good luck to you, maybe someone will chime in here and know a little more about the brownish color. I think its fine, nothing to worry about.... -rach
Advertisements
How exciting that your baby is due any day now! The liquid that comes from the breast, first, is called "pre-milk". It can be tinted in lots of colors. Mine was just clear, like water and I didn't have more than a few drops, but some moms can get an ounce or two of it, before it turns white It is very encouraging that you are seeing something all ready!
Keep us posted!
Darillyn
noelani54@hotmail.com
That is great to hear that you are producing milk. I want to breastfeed too. Did you talk with your gyn doctor or regular medical doctor about adoptive breastfeeding? It would help me know who I should talk with when I am ready to start getting ready for our baby.
Thank you. Happy pumping!!!!
Well, what was coming out has stopped. I had my period and for the past several days, there's been nothing. The baby is due on Wednesday, so we'll see what happens when he is here.
Sirenbelle, I went to my primary care doctor, who consulted a lactation consultant and then gave me a prescription.
Your period will make your milk supply go down. I'm not surprised it completely stopped since you were making so little. Try not to be discouraged.
Advertisements
I'm sorry to hear that. Don't give up! Is it possible when your baby nurses that will restart a milk supply. Maybe you want to try the Mothers Milk Tea. I read some good reviews on it.
Usisarah is right. Periods usually make milk production decrease. When nursing mine, I always felt like I would take two steps forward and then one step back, when I got my period. After three months or so, I stopped having periods, until the baby stopped nursing as much.
Do you have a Lact-Aid kit? Getting a newborn nursing as much as possible will get your milk supply going much better than a pump will! I've always thought it was a good idea to take a week or two just to get the logistics of nursing with the Lact-Aid down, without trying to figure out what is happening with milk supply. Then, at the end of the that time, you can start checking periodically, but try not to get too focused on it. The best way to get an idea of how much milk you are making is to keep track of how much formula the baby is taking from the Lact-Aid, for a few days. Then, a couple weeks later, do that again. If the baby is growing, but the amount of formula he/she is taking has stayed the same, or gone down, you know that your milk is making up the difference.
The best way to see how successful you are, overall, is to watch your baby. If your baby is very bonded to you, happy, and growing and developing normally, you are doing a great job!