Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I have recently taken the plunge and applied to an agency for a Korean adoption. We are quite excited about the process and nervous as well (with all the worries of Korea decreasing their quota). I would love to hear some words of wisdom of those that have been down this road. I would love to know some tips to get us through this long process. What have you learned along the way that you wish you'd known when you first started?
UNCgirl, our timing may be just behind yours. We're scheduled to complete our homestudy in Sept/Oct. Not sure how much longer it takes for the packet to go to Korea as we haven't yet had our first social worker meeting where we'll get into more of the details. I think our agency is similar in timeframes as it's much longer for the referral than for the travel call. They say 14-15 months to wait for a referral and then 5 months or so for travel call. I agree with you, I think it'll be easier that way because we won't have to wait so long once we've fallen in love with our little guy (or gal). Our placement will be through SWS too and it sounds like they have the shortest wait times (referral and travel) so I guess we are lucky. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!
PS - Did you go to UNC? I went to Duke :)
Advertisements
We were told last summer that referral would be 6-8 months and travel in 2-4 months. Referral was 3 months and we were told the travel was 5 months but ended up 10 months. They have no idea. Especially with travel since its mostly up to the government on when and if they issue EP's.
Kateyb2,
How is your process going? Our packet went out this month - a little earlier than estimated. Now for the wait...
BTW, yes, I did go to Carolina - and I won't hold it against you that you went to Duke. :)
Jfab, so your wait time from packet to Korea and travel was 13 months? How long has your child been home?
Congrats on your packet going out UNCgirl! I'm guessing ours won't be ready until October or November as we have a bunch of trainings and meetings still to go. Keep us posted and good luck!
Advertisements
UNCgirl how are you feeling now that you're officially in the wait? We're getting closer. Most paperwork and half of our trainings are done. We're just now waiting to schedule our home visit. I'm worried this part is probably easier than the waiting part because at least we have busy work. Does your agency keep you busy with updates and stuff?
Kateyb2,
We have been pretty busy with life, luckily. So we have already flown through a month since our packet was sent to Korea. Other than praying, we haven't done much of anything. We do have one more set of educational videos to do, but we haven't done them yet. I have read some books on adoption that I really enjoyed. I may go back through them again.
I hope that your home visits go well! Best of luck to you!
How are things going with your adoption? We are still in the waiting phase here. Haven't heard too much since the quota was pretty full by October. Hoping things will pick up soon.
Advertisements
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. We are STILL waiting for CIS approval before we can send our home study to Korea. Which is so hard because we finished our home study officially and had it approved at the end of Nov! Other than that our agency has lengthened the timelines somewhat (now 6-9 months from referral to travel vs previously 4-6 months) but other than that everything seems to be running smoothly in as much as our agency tells us. What about you? Any idea what your timeline is looking like??
Kateyb2, Your timeline looks pretty similar to ours. This month is officially 1 year since we started this process. August will be one year from when we sent off our packet to Korea. Hoping for good news soon. Best of luck to you and hopefully your packet has been sent on it's way!
Hi there! We are currently 6.5 months into our wait for a referral. Our agency (Spence-Chapin) shut down their program in June and switched us to a new Agency (FCA in CT). We just got an update from FCA last week and they said we likely won't get a referral until February or March of next year at the earliest :( (The wait is about 12-15 months from dossier to referral). And that the wait from referral to match will hopefully be about 6 months by the time we are at that stage. What about you guys!??
Advertisements
We just received our referral. The wait from here on is going to be at least 10 months and likely more than 12 months. In retrospect, I think it might have been easier for me to wait a very, very long time for a referral and a shorter time to travel.
I can totally understand that. But now you have a specific face and name that you can prepare and pray for. I'm hoping the timing gets quicker, but nothing is really in our hands at this point. Best of luck!