Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey everyone. Just had a quick question about home study background checks. Does anyone know if they concentrate a lot on education? Like college degrees? Just wondering if that's included in the background check. The reason I ask this is because I did not graduate when everyone thinks I did and I would be willing to share the reason why with my adoption social worker just not with my family because they don't know. It sounds stupid I know.
I adopted through foster care, but I would imagine the homestudy is pretty much the same regardless of adoption type. The background check only included a search of criminal and child abuse databases. Beyond what would show up on one of these databases, they only know what you, your references, or your physician (on the medical clearance form) tells them. They did not require I show proof of college degree (I have none) or high school diploma. I don't even remember if I was asked about education, but if I was, it was just a "highest education completed" checkbox on the application form with no proof required. Even if you were to discuss your educational situation with your social worker, that is not something that would be shared with your family unless you allowed them to read the homestudy report (except, of course, your wife since she would already have access to the report). I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as education is concerned. Overall, I found the homestudy to be much less intrusive then I expected.
Advertisements
Thanks for the info. I was just afraid that they would verify dates of enrollment and my grad date in a background check.
We had to tell about our education levels as part of our homestudy, but it wasn't something that was shared with everyone else. If you are doing DIA and plan on meeting the expectant mom before placement, you should be prepared to discuss it with her though. I know that education was super important to my son's bmom. Good luck!
SOONLOVESOON
To be honest, it kind of makes me wonder what ELSE you are "hiding". You SW may feel the same way.
I also thought this. The first thought that popped into my head was...why would you keep that from your family and are you going to hide other things from them in the future?
Advertisements