Advertisements
Advertisements
Would you give me an outline of the letter you wrote?
Did you include all of the supporting documentation with the request, or send it if requested?
Did you request an increase such as $XX for X item?
Did you request a general increase - with the amount left to the states' discretion?
Or did you request an increase from$XX to $XX?
I'm sorry for so many questions. I have a little over a week to request an increase before they bring us papers to sign.
I've not asked for an increase, but we have requested a subsidy AFTER finalization---and, received it.
My suggestion for you would be to include ALL of what you've written above. My theory's always been to go the 'overkill route'. Leave no stone unturned...so if there's any question about anything you're discussing, they'll have the information right there without requesting it again, KWIM?
Good luck!
Sincerely,
Linny
Advertisements
I hope everything went well with your adoption subsidy increase. I just finished my letter and I included everything and itemized the cost. I didn't submit it yet.
I hope your outcome was positive.
We have had two neuropsych evals on our now nine-year old son. He was originally at a level one level. we actually requested he be bumped to level three. he does not have down syndrome or cerebral palsy, but his gaf score is very los. basically his post adoption worker said that if an adult had that gaf score, they would be hospitalized.
he appears very bright. and he is. but very learning delayed. he can't formulate a sentence with his spelling words on his own. reads barely at first grade level. anger issues. mood disorder. severe adhd. major reactivity. in fact, first neuropsych results in severe rad diagnosis.
his last day care had him for about one month. almost got kicked out of boys and girls club but they have been working with him after one week suspension.
after our request to move him from level one to level three, he was approved for level two with a $100 monthly increase.
i am grateful for 100. don't get me wrong. but it is very difficult to work and arrange before and after school child care for a child with these kinds of issues. he actually gets into fights at CHURCH of all places.
i feel so discouraged. but i know the economy is worse and a lot of families are in need of help.
i know other families who were not approved for any type of increase, so we are actually lucky.
Hi!
Like others have written, I hope your outcome is/was positive. If you haven't applied yet, each state is different with their subsidy packages, pricing, and methods of dealing with increases. I am finding that here in Missouri, it's pretty painless.
We fostered a 10mo old baby girl back in 2008, and we raised her and was able to adopt her in Feb of 2010. At that time, she seemed like a pretty typical toddler, much different than her 4 years older brother was, who we also fostered for a year before the state had to separate them.
It wasn't until 2012, when she started kindergarten, that a lot of her issues became real apparent. This year, she has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, DCD, and borderline intellectual functioning. She has just been diagnosed as FAS, which was something we knew her brother was diagnosed with last year, but is just now something I'm learning about and learning to cope with.
So, we have also requested an increase for a higher subsidy, moving her from normal pay of $238/mo to behavioral OR medical pay rate of $671 so that we can increase her services.
We were told that we would need to bring her diagnosis papers, a number for what type of increase amount we wanted, and what we thought would justify that requested amount. When we met with social services, they explained that to get her medical pay, we need our doctor to fill out a sheet saying she will need assistance, daily medication, etc. If we can't get her classified as that, she fits hands down into behavioral, but we need to take the course before the can begin paying the behavioral subsidy.
While they did ask what we felt would justify the increase in subsidy (for us it was in-home tutoring for her school work, gymnastics to help with her DCD, horse therapy for her anxiety, etc,) after hearing what we are going to do for her, they didn't ask what number we wanted to request and just assumed we wanted the full amount.
We're meeting with our doctor tomorrow over the medical paperwork (I think it's a CD-117 form), and assuming he is on board (and I don't see why not) we will turn it in and they said it will take 6-8 weeks to send it to Jeff City and have it all approved and finished. If we have to wait for behavioral courses, that will be difficult because we both need to take it, and my husband is a police officer, so he does not have the luxury of having saturdays free for a month of courses. :cop:
I am so glad to that Missouri has been able to work with you on your daugther's subsidy increase.
I'm facing somewhat of a dilemma about my son. He is being pulled out more and more for "pull-outs" at school so that "he feels safer." Next year, he needs to be in a
"contained" type classroom, and the special ed teacher feels testing will place him as having an "intellectual disability."
We are trying to see if we can get him in an elementary school that is special-needs based. But his case has to be referred to a panel or board which would have to determine his eligibility/acceptance.
Advertisements