Advertisements
Advertisements
Not sure if I can make this a short story...Dh and I were approached last October to meet with a BM that was due in January, we would be the third potential adoptive parents for various reasons. 2011 had already been a very emotion year for us, 2 failed IVF's then a spontaneous "natural" pregnancy that ended in Miscarriage at 12 weeks just one month before this phone call...Although all our friends, family and medical teams have always said, "there is always adoption" that annoyed the heck out of me DH and I were not interested in adoption mostly for the reasons we are facing every day now. I thought that adoption would mean that I accepted failure and I had been defeated (strange since even my own father was adopted and I had witnessed the very natural and loving relationship he had with his adoptive family??). Even going to Dr. appt with BM and meeting with Attorney's I was still unsure how I felt emotionally. It was not until I got the call 7 weeks early that she was at L&D and looking at emer C-section. We had meet with BF a few days after meeting with BM and he even told our attorney that we were suitable "candidates". BM had not had contact with BF since a few months prior...an injunction was in place and charges pending for his attack on her. Zeke was born at 33 weeks under very extreme and critical conditions. We were lucky our NICU was so understanding and that the attorney was very pro-active and had already pre-regestered us, we were able to be with him. He was released 2 weeks later. During this time, approx 10 days after he was born we heard that BF was contesting. We had decided that if this were to ever happen that we would always do what was best for the Child not putting our "selfish" actions in place. I grew up in courts through a very emotional custody battle and swore that I would never do that....well we knew of the pending felony charges and when BM found out about he was contesting she freaked out crying shaking etc and saying that there is NO way a child let alone a baby is safe with him. She went into detail about BF's mental disability, abuse, past DUI and alcoholism ETC...I felt myself literally transforming into MAMA Bear mode determined to protect this baby!! BM constantly begs us to fight and do everything we can to make sure that he does not get custody. Our TPR hearing is not until Aug. 22 Zeke will be just 9 months old, we have a team of 3 attorneys that are the best in the State of Florida but I still find it hard to breath when this beautiful baby boy has been fighting since birth and looks at me for every leap and bound he has overcame since being in our care. There is no doubt that we must do what is the best for him and sometimes I don't trust myself....example tonight I am too much of a wreck to be in his nursery, his daddy is rocking and holding him tight we just read over his Deposition Notes and the lies he is portraying. Sometimes I put myself in protection mode that I cannot Love him anymore.
Thank u for taking the time to read....
I am so sorry. My heart goes out for the 3 of you. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope the courts will do the right thing for the safety of Zeke so you can be his forever family.
Advertisements
Are all the allegations against bfather documented? If so, sounds like you will be a family. Hang in there!
I have read your post several times now and my heart goes out to your family. I think that sometimes doing what is right, isn't easy and your situation is an illustration of that point. This little guy needs you! Sounds like today was a hard day for your heart. I hope this vent and some sleep will give you some lift to continue. You have done all you can and you MUST remain positive. Best of luck to you and your family and please keep us posted. BTW, you may be looking at time as your enemy when it might work to your benefit. I don't know the whole story but I know of a seemingly similar situation and the case was put on a docket months out. The BF got into some serious legal trouble during that time and was incarcerated when the date rolled around.
I am sorry you have to experience the heartache of a contested adoption. We are going through one right now. We found out the BF was contesting shortly after our little girl was two months old. She is almost four months now and this has been an incredible roller coaster. I didn't think it could get any worse after experiencing several miscarriages and a failed match already. In our case the BF has no record or indication he would be unsafe. He is just young and poor. We don't feel that is a reason for him not to parent if that is what is in his heart. So , we sit and wait for his decision and try to enjoy being I have moments when I close my heart to her because the pain is too much to handle. I hope the resolution comes quickly and that we are once again given the strength to survive. Please keep us updated. I will keep you guys in our prayers. Just remember that God doesn't have grandchildren and your little Zeke is His child that He watches over.