Advertisements
Advertisements
Our family is just about finished with the home study portion of the adoption process and had heard that it's highly unlikely that we will get to adopt a girl from the Ukraine. We were looking to adopt a girl between the ages of 6 and 11. Has anyone else found this to be true?
Elliott
[url=http://snapshotsfromourjourney.blogspot.com/]Snapshots From Our Journey[/url]
We adopted a seven year old girl from Ukraine earlier this year. No problems and there were a lot of girls in their orphange. (Maybe they were not available for adoption, I don't know)
Advertisements
Thank you for your reply. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions.
1. Did you know about your daughter before you went over there or did you have to find out about her once you got to Ukraine?
2. Who did you use for the adoption?
3. And if it's not asking too much, where was the orphanage from which you adopted her?
Thank you so much for your assistance.
From what I understand, if there are no adoptable children that fit the description in your homestudy, your dossier will be returned to you or you will have the chance to amend your homestudy in country.
I have also heard it is also next to impossible to adopt a girl 9 or younger from U. Is your family open to special needs?
Americans overwhelmingly want girls when they adopt. So even if a country from which Americans adopt starts out with an equal number of boys and girls available for adoption, what tends to happen is that waiting lists for girls arise, while boys languish in care. It's true for infants and it's true for older children.
However, because more people also want to adopt young children, it is somewhat easier for prospective parents to find a school aged girl available for adoption. If you are open to a school aged girl, I doubt that you will have too much difficulty finding one in most countries, including Ukraine.
Just remember that older children are more likely than younger ones to have had negative life experiences, either in their birth families or in their orphanages and foster homes. While they may be listed as healthy, because they do not have any congenital problems such as heart disease, missing limbs, or blindness, they may well have been the victims of physical or sexual abuse, may have learned behaviors such as bullying as a way to get things they needed, may never have had any dental care, may never have learned to trust and accept affection from adults, etc. It takes a very special family to adopt an older child.
On the other hand, with older children, you are more likely to have an accurate picture of certain possble health issues. As an example, it may be difficult to predict the effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol in a baby. When he/she reaches school age, however, you will get a better idea of any cognitive impairments or behavioral issues caused by the fact that his/her birthmother drank alcohol during pregnancy.
Sharon
Americans overwhelmingly want girls when they adopt. So even if a country from which Americans adopt starts out with an equal number of boys and girls available for adoption, what tends to happen is that waiting lists for girls arise, while boys languish in care. It's true for infants and it's true for older children.
However, because more people also want to adopt young children, it is somewhat easier for prospective parents to find a school aged girl available for adoption. If you are open to a school aged girl, I doubt that you will have too much difficulty finding one in most countries, including Ukraine.
Just remember that older children are more likely than younger ones to have had negative life experiences, either in their birth families or in their orphanages and foster homes. While they may be listed as healthy, because they do not have any congenital problems such as heart disease, missing limbs, or blindness, they may well have been the victims of physical or sexual abuse, may have learned behaviors such as bullying as a way to get things they needed, may never have had any dental care, may never have learned to trust and accept affection from adults, etc. It takes a very special family to adopt an older child.
On the other hand, with older children, you are more likely to have an accurate picture of certain possble health issues. As an example, it may be difficult to predict the effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol in a baby. When he/she reaches school age, however, you will get a better idea of any cognitive impairments or behavioral issues caused by the fact that his/her birthmother drank alcohol during pregnancy.
Sharon
Advertisements
There is no problem to adopt a girl neither a boy of age 6-11 the problem is the health issue. There are a lot of kids available for adoption in Ukraine and all of them are available with theirs siblings or they have serious health problems. The best way to adopt from Ukraine is the Hosting programs. You meet the child, you can see if this child will fit into your family. You can host children from 8 y.o.
It is not impossible. Look at some of the Christian hosting programs to get an idea of the agency range. It also is helpful if you have a good facilitator in Ukraine. Another country where it will be easier for this age range is Latvia. Single girls in the range 9 and up are available. Younger girls would be in a sibling group. Best of Luck!
Hi PapaElliot,
I checked out your blog, I really liked it. I wanted to tell you, don't say "the" in front of Ukraine. From what I understand it was referred to THE Ukraine as a part of the USSR during those times and it may be offensive to Ukranians now as they are a separate country. If I am wrong please correct me. I hope I am not being insensitive or offensive. Just trying to pass on some information.
Advertisements
Hi PapaElliott,
Yes, it will be harder, but not impossible. Because, as others have pointed out, there are fewer girls, they may have more health issues.
Discuss with your spouse and understand what your limitations are, and what you can take on as a family. Then try your hardest to learn about common health issues in older adoptive children. The more prepared you are, the more you will be able to ask the right questions and make an educated decision. Often doctors are happy to sit down with you to discuss common illnesses and issues as well.
Also, a great agency/firm/facilitator can help make your success more likely.
And as KathTeach wrote, if SDA does not have any children that meet the request in your dossier, it will be returned. I really don't think you need to fear this.
Very best, Susan
You should definitely host. There are girls in that age range in the hosting programs and you could have the chance to live with the child for 4-6 wks to see if it is a match.
I totally agree with Lyn about hosting. We currently have a 14 year old Ukrainian girl in our home for the winter (until mid January). It is a GREAT way to get to know the child and also a great way to learn how challenging it is to overcome the language barrier. If you've already experienced that adopting from another country, then you know what I'm talking about :grr:
We've already learned so much from her and I'm sure she has learned lots from us! It's a great experience and I would recommend it even if someone isn't looking to adopt. The only warning I have been told is how you feel when she has to leave. I hear grown men are crying like babies. I can't wait to go back after my girl! Lining up my Home Study now!
Best of luck to everyone!
Hi, my husband and I would like to adopt a school-age girl from Ukraine. The one issue standing in our way is prior marriages. My husband had 3 and I had zero. I heard that "excessive" prior marriages may be a reason to be denied (despite all other positive qualities as potential adoptive parents). Did anyone face such issues? We would really like a little Ukrainian girl (12-14 years old). I am originally from Ukraine and my husband is adopted himself.
Advertisements