Advertisements
Advertisements
I have started the adoption process through okla dhs and I was wondering what to expect with the first interview/walk through and then what happens after that?
We started the process in September. The first step of paperwork and background checks too a while. You can't move forward until you've passed the background check. It was January before we got the call about our first home study visit. We had 3 visits. Honestly they are silly. I was a little worried about someone coming into my home and telling me how to live but it's not like that. They ask you to show them where your cleaning supplies are, guns, etc. You have to have child proof locks on cleaning supply cabinets. Guns have to be locked up. Outlet covers on. A fireplace screen for a fireplace. Then you answer all kinds of questions like what are the strengths of your marriage, weaknesses, what was the relationship like with your mom growing up, now, etc. It's a big overview of your life. The only other thing to note is when you've passed the background check get your classes scheduled! We didn't know this so our classes didn't get started until after the home study was over. We could have been doing them at the same time and been approved sooner. But I guess it all worked out because we were approved in May, got the call in August we were getting a child and we're now in trial adoption.
Advertisements