Advertisements
Advertisements
Well, we are likely going to be moving forward with a potential match. Bmom is due around Thanksgiving.
I have 1 biological child, she's almost 6. As a preemie, she was unable to latch and I chose to exclusively pumped for her for 7 months and produced enough milk to freeze for her thru 14 months. So, I basically had a double-supply.
I have high prolactin, unless I take something to control it. I think I would be able to BF and get a full supply if I start pumping 1-2 weeks before the baby is due.
Because of the high prolactin, I am not cycling and if I try to express, I do get a few drops.
So, has anyone with naturally high prolactin re-lacted for an adopted baby? Did you have a full supply?
I know of one who did and, yes, she did have a full supply. Her prolactin level was so high that, unless she took medication, she leaked milk constantly. She just stopped taking her medication, although I don't know how soon she did. I don't know, where yours isn't quite that high (you don't take meds for it, do you?), how long in advance you should start pumping. Maybe you could start doing a little pumping a month before, or something, just to give you an idea of what the response will be. If you respond real well, right away, you could just do it twice a day, or something, and then increase it a week or two before the due date. Of course, the baby wouldn't need much milk for the first few days, but I think it is better to be a bit overprepared than under prepared.
The prospect of a baby at Thanksgiving time is very exciting! I have a new grandson who is breastfed and I'm thrilled and also a bit envious. I had multiple problems while I was nursing my kids, like vasospasms, thrush, nipple fissures that wouldn't heal, etc., but it was still one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had! Oh, and kudos for pumping milk for your daughter! Premies, as well as sick newborns, especially need breast milk and I think physicians should try very hard to get mothers to pump their milk at least until the baby is well enough to be released from the NICU. Besides being so good for the babies, it helps the mothers feel less helpless and bond better. If my daughter, Julia's, birth mother had been encouraged to pump her milk for Julia, who was a planned pregnancy, born with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia, she would have started growing and developing as soon as the scars from her initial surgery were healed, her birth mom would have bonded with her, and she never would have been placed for adoption. Of course, I'm very thankful that I ended up being her mother, but she had a very miserable first six months of life.
Best wishes to you!
Advertisements
I am in the early stages of domestic infant adoption. I have never been pregnant before but I want to breastfeed as well.
Best wishes!