Advertisements
Advertisements
Wow, today was a busy one! We just got called that we were matched with a little girl in Florida, we're in Nevada. Ironic thing was we were headed to FL for vacation in a few weeks. Now we'll have an extra special reason to visit! :-) Foster mom is gonna let us pop by and spend some time with her before our 'official' visits begin.
We have a question about subsidy since we've never done this before. Her worker was saying that the most they could offer is $550 a month. She's a medically fragile child, just recovered from a kidney transplant. Only equipment she has now is G-tube since she's been weaned from dialysis. She's been cleared to move out of state & can start pre-school so she's doing very well, but will need feeding therapy since they'd like to get her off the G-tube before starting Kindergarten. She is also covered with Medicaid. Does this sound about right in the ballpark? Should we negotiate for more? How do these things work? I have to add that our worker is absolutely no help since we're with a private agency and she is from the foster system.
You can always PM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks!!
Lisa
I think that amount is rather low considering her special needs. My guess though, is that this worker doesn't know enough about the program and so is guessing the amount from something she's read or 'thinks'.
Florida is usually good about subsidies, I'm told. I believe I'd try to work with someone who DOES know exactly what they're talking about......
Hope all goes well in the initial 'pre-official visits' meetings!
Sincerely,
Linny
Advertisements
I live in Florida and my two adopted daughters were considered special needs at the time the adoption was final. I am in the process of asking for an increase in our subsidy. You are entitled to receive the going rate that she receives in foster care but if your child that you are adopting is eligible for Title1V-E then you can always ask for it to be raised. The only catch is you have to have her approved for Tiltle1V-E before adoption is final. If not you are not able to have their subsidy raised even if further medical, therapy, or any unforseen expenses occur for her care.