Advertisements
Advertisements
I was just curious, as we're looking into getting $$ together to do the adoption....
I was looking into a few grants last night/this morning. I discovered that most of the grants that I looked at, require 501(c)3 status. I emailed our agency, and they are NOT a 501(c)3 agency. Before we look into find another agency... Does anyone know of any grants that do not require that status?
Also, we're thinking about getting a loan.. but prefer no interest (yea like THAT will happen LOL) or low interest. We don't have the best credit (from when we were younger and stupid.)
Any input?
I know I applied for a couple of grants that I qualified for, and my agency was for profit. Not to discourage you, but before you change agencies in hopes of getting a grant, there is a lot of competition for grants, and not nearly enough money to cover everyone. I remember applying for one that had several hundred applicants for 3 available grants that cycle.
Your best bets for loans are home equity (if that is a possibility for you - I didn't have enough) or 401c/ 403b (if you have one). I found that banks were not a good bet.
Advertisements
Do either of your employers offer an adoption reimbursement benefit? Mine did not, but with a little advocacy and education, they instituted one - it's not huge, but every little bit helps!
WaitingTX
Do either of your employers offer an adoption reimbursement benefit? Mine did not, but with a little advocacy and education, they instituted one - it's not huge, but every little bit helps!
I am self employeed and my benefit package sucks <g> all kidding aside............ my husband's company does offer a reimbursement, of $5,000 after completion. However, that's $5,000 we have to come up with up front.
We're really not set on changing agencies, we really enjoy this one thus far.
We can't do a home equity loan, as we don't own our house..... Looking into doing a lot of fundraising, and scraping pennies :)
We are trying to save the money we need but our back up plan (if we get a placement sooner than we expect) is to get a personal loan through our credit union. My husband checked with a regular bank (he was dealing with them for something different and thought he'd ask) and they didn't offer personal loans. But our credit union does and it's a fairly easy process to get. I think the interest is around 5%.