Advertisements
Advertisements
Would love to hear about your experience. We just got the call today about possible placement with 6, 8 and 9 year old. We have been looking forward to 3 siblings - willing and (hopefully) able, but didn't expect so close in age.
Are we crazy? :woohoo: I'm excited & scared and would love to hear about others' experiences.
J in Gwinnett GA
I'm a little late in seeing this post but I wanted to see if you went through with the sib set or if it fell through..
Advertisements
Pertinacity
Would love to hear about your experience. We just got the call today about possible placement with 6, 8 and 9 year old. We have been looking forward to 3 siblings - willing and (hopefully) able, but didn't expect so close in age.
Are we crazy? :woohoo: I'm excited & scared and would love to hear about others' experiences.
J in Gwinnett GA
Will you please tell me your experience adopting in Georgia? I am also starting the process in the Atlanta area?
Since your adopting older kids, make sure you talk to their former foster parents. They may tell you, why they're not adoptiong. Or, they can tell you what issues they have. Even if they were babies I would say the same thing. Also workers tend to down play bad behaviors to get children adopted.
We had to decline the match with 3 younger siblings. When the 2 older ones were together, they behaved in an unhealthy way. They may split them up into 2 groups, but that decision will take the state forever.
We are now discussing an older sibling set, though not officially selected. Still many questions to answer.
Our adoption agency is great. While the children have social workers, our agency is an advocate for us. They inform of us all the good, bad & ugly to help us make the best decision. So far the process has gone well, though I think the matching takes way too long. There are kids out there that need us, right???
Pertinacity
We had to decline the match with 3 younger siblings. When the 2 older ones were together, they behaved in an unhealthy way. They may split them up into 2 groups, but that decision will take the state forever.
We are now discussing an older sibling set, though not officially selected. Still many questions to answer.
Our adoption agency is great. While the children have social workers, our agency is an advocate for us. They inform of us all the good, bad & ugly to help us make the best decision. So far the process has gone well, though I think the matching takes way too long. There are kids out there that need us, right???
Can you tell me What agency you used? You can pm me or email me. And I want to know if you heard of my agency here in Georgia. Thanks
Advertisements
Hi Pertinacity, I am really late reading your posts; I see youre interested in adopting a sibling set which is wonderful. My wife and I are on the same journey; last year we had a sibling set of three little girls, right out of the gate, but unfortunately it did not work out due to one of the girls having behavior issues; which were not disclosed by county or CW. We are still on the list, and waiting. WeҒre learning theres more demand than supply in our county. WeҒre now expanding and looking into adopting older children and made some inquires; scared? Yes! Currently were checking a possibly sibling set of three, and with a possibility of 8 to 12 year boys. My wife and had a chance to see our counties adoption book, and to our amazement, it was very thin; at least for the children that were up for adoption, maybe a dozen or more. Well, Good luck with your adoption and would love to hear of any updates.
Attended Foster Care Orientation 11/19/2010
Application submitted 11/21/2010
State foster home application accepted 3/1/2011
Medical Physicals 2/2011
County Interviews 3/2011
Classes start & finished 4/14/2011-6/23/2011
First Aide classes 6/30/2011
Passed Home Inspection (State) 11/02/2011
Live scans; county and state: started 4/26/2011 finally ended 9/2011
Due to Riverside County miss placing or not transmitting prints
First half of our Home study completed 12/22/2011
Second half of our Home study completed 01/ 05/2012
FINALLY APPROVED and officially on waiting list 05/08/2012 due to
under staffing at Riverside County.
First placement: 6/10/2012 until 8/01/2012; We miss them so much.:female2: :female4: :female6:
We have just celebrated our 1 year anniversary of our "Gotcha Date" for our 3 AK s. All were older, and school age. My suggestion to to have a plan!
Be sure to identify an attachment therapist, dentist, pediatrician, familiarize yourself with the school system, registration requirements etc.., you will also need to know what your employers FMLA policy is, (most companies are unfamiliar with the adoption portion of the law) Be sure to have your plan for after school / sick kid care in place. We had to be sure that our neighborhood "granny" was approved to babysit as needed.
Your CW should be able to explain what kind of Medicaid the kids should have and you can be interviewing providers ahead of time. This will help you a great deal in the "time" department.
When our daughters arrived, we had eye, ear, pedi, therapist and dentist appointments scheduled within a week of placement. We were able to get the registration paperwork for school completed before they arrived.
This allowed us to have time to do the food / sundries shopping before placement.
It will be CRAZY busy at placement, appointments, SW, CW, CASA, Lawyers visits etc..
So be sure to get done as much as possible now, good luck!