Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,i'm new here :) i just had some questions i wanted to ask about foster care and adoption. i dont wanna put my whole lifes story out lol but some is good. well to begin with,my mother was a foster child when she was young. her and my uncle both went from foster home to foster home until they were placed in a(i guess) permanent foster home with who i now know today as my aunt. my mom wanted to give back for what she had gone through in foster care so when i was about 7 or 8 she took in 3 foster care girls. there were a total of six of is,i know crazy. to this day those girls still consider us their family and they only stayed with us for about 2 years. since then i wanted to be a social worker,but after a while that changed and i wanted to become a foster parent, or a foster to adopt parent.i have become so passionate about it,and researching, however because of age i cannot start yet. Most teens(im 18) cant wait to be 21 so that they can go out and drink,but i can honestly say i cant wait to turn 21 so i can sign up to finally become a foster parent. with all that being said,im finally getting to my question. as i was doing my research i noticed that a lot of the agencies require you to be 21 to be able to become a foster parent,but 18 to be able to adopt a child. why is that? thank you for your input
Hi!
Its great to hear that you are already so enthusiastic about fostering!
I was told in MAPP that you had to be 21 to adopt, so maybe they allow an 18 year old sibling to adopt their own siblings, in the cases where it is appropriate. I haven't heard of a case where that has happened though. In the meantime, consider joining big brothers and big sisters, or volunteering at the YMCA, since you can still help be a great influence on these kids now!
Advertisements