Advertisements
Advertisements
Looking for BTDT responses. My understanding is that in my area, CPS will NOT place children with family members that are convicted felons (I am sure that there is some time frame of the conviction at play there) or someone with ongoing drug/alcohol issues of their own, as apparent by DUI convictions. (Are those felony?) How does it work in your area?
I have a niece, with a baby boy just a little bit younger than Chubbs. (Bizarre having a baby same time as my nieces' having babies, LOL.) So, I have pushed her father, my brother, to get temporary custody of the baby before CPS gets involved. My niece is a mess. She should NOT have custody of him in any way. But, she is going away for at least 6 months. I have now gotten conflicting info from my brother and another person on whether he has tried to get custody of the baby. My thinking is that they will just "have him" while she is gone, but they would have to have something in writing to handle medical issues. (How things have changed since I was a kid growing up in kinship "foster" care...)
So, if CPS does end up with him, would they let my brother, a convicted felon, and his wife, a raving alcoholic with multiple DUIs, have placement of my great nephew? I am thinking not, and I was honest about this with my brother. I thought if he was pro-active and got the custody before CPS was involved, he would be ok.
I am not too worried about him because his aunt, my other niece, who is doing SUPER, so proud of her, could take him in, and there are a few other relatives that might slide by for approval. But, obviously, he is at Grandpa and Nanny's a lot now, so it would be best for them to have him.
DUIs convictions can be felony or misdemeanor. But if there are multiple convictions, you're probably looking at felony.
Here, there are two "automatic" disqualifiers: felony DV conviction (any time) and felony drug conviction within the past five years. Other felony convictions are not automatic disqualifiers, but may be determined to be grounds to disqualify.
Of course, judges can waive even the "automatic" disqualifiers.
Every state has varying rules and such for relative caregivers of incarcerated parents, but here they're "administrative" rules (what paperwork has to be completed so that kids don't have problems enrolling in school, getting medical treatment, etc). Some areas even have subsidy payments for the relatives (really low amount, but every bit can help when you're suddenly caring for a child).
Advertisements
Yes, I had a placement go to a grandparent who had multiple felonies in multiple states. I do not know what they were for nor do I know how long ago they were. I have a theory as to why this was allowed as usually this is something my agency would not approve and they actually did it behind the back of one particular supervisor because they knew she'd never approve it. I am also pretty sure there are other rules being broken with that placement and the CW is turning a blind eye. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised due to the bias I saw.
So, there seems to be an exception to every rule. Just depends in the CW's opinion if the situation.
Maybe it would be best if he wasn't in the home of a raging alcoholic since there are other people who could take him.
I would think that they would pick someone else if other people are interested. It probably depends on the conviction, how long ago & the reason, his wife's dui's could count against them if it's recent. That's my guess?
Depends on your state, but here in MI, they would not. My sister got her daughter because the bio aunt that had her had to move in with her mom to take care of her because she was ill, and the mom's husband was a convicted felon and she could not take the baby with her to live there so she had to come into care. If it is a bio parent that is one thing, but beyond that I don't think they will. Perhaps a grandparent. I am sure there are ways to get around it, but I doubt they'd place the kiddo with the people you have described.
Advertisements
jhuck
Maybe it would be best if he wasn't in the home of a raging alcoholic since there are other people who could take him.
Oh you have no idea! I just don't know if my other niece and her fiance could afford to take him. And my brother is pretty stable, now. He hasn't been in trouble for over 5 years now I think.
I had to sit and listen to my SIL go on about my niece for 10 minutes. And I had to bite my tongue from saying "hmm, you think maybe growing up in a home with an alcoholic mother, who drank when she was pregnant, maybe could have caused some of these issues with the child?"
mythreesonsjmo
Depends on your state, but here in MI, they would not. My sister got her daughter because the bio aunt that had her had to move in with her mom to take care of her because she was ill, and the mom's husband was a convicted felon and she could not take the baby with her to live there so she had to come into care. If it is a bio parent that is one thing, but beyond that I don't think they will. Perhaps a grandparent. I am sure there are ways to get around it, but I doubt they'd place the kiddo with the people you have described.
Yeah, that is my thinking. They are closer to MI and things tend to be a bit more strict up there. In fact, if they were where I am, I don't think it would be an issue, but that county is far more conservative on these things than mine.
Honestly, the best thing that could happen to the child is to get adopted out into a good family. But, we all know how this system works, THAT isn't going to happen. I won't be an option for him as I am not going to be stuck with his bio mother for the rest of my life.
thanks tempmom. I kinda like being "under a rock", but now I've researched and know the truth....
OAC 5101:2-48-10
An adoptive homestudy applicant is rejected if they have:
"two or more OVI or OVUAC violations committed within the three years immediately preceding the submission of the application or petition that is the basis of the adoption request"
Meaning, that if an aoptive homestudy applicant had ONE (OVI or OVUAC) conviction in the past year, and in the past 3 years a total of only one....
They CAN adopt. KINSHIP homestudy requirements are AT LEAST as loose as this, so I'm led to believe that one OVI is not an obsticle.
I'm sad now. I did not know this. :(
OhioFosterMom
thanks tempmom. I kinda like being "under a rock", but now I've researched and know the truth....
OAC 5101:2-48-10
An adoptive homestudy applicant is rejected if they have:
"two or more OVI or OVUAC violations committed within the three years immediately preceding the submission of the application or petition that is the basis of the adoption request"
Meaning, that if an aoptive homestudy applicant had ONE (OVI or OVUAC) conviction in the past year, and in the past 3 years a total of only one....
They CAN adopt. KINSHIP homestudy requirements are AT LEAST as loose as this, so I'm led to believe that one OVI is not an obsticle.
I'm sad now. I did not know this. :(
I can see both sides of it. You could easily get a DUI from having a couple of glasses of wine at dinner and then getting stopped on the way home. ONE DUI can be a hard lesson to learn fluke, but more than one is pattern setting.
Personally, I do not drink, not one glass, not one drop, if I am going to be driving. Period. You would be amazed, or not, at how much "normal" people drink and then drive. My company even allows for TWO drinks at dinner on the expense checks. We have company dinners where people will drink 2-4 drinks and not think of it. I was at one a few years ago, the only one to not get a drink, and a colleague looks at me questioningly, "you do not drink?" (The hidden implication that you are of course an alcoholic) and when I said "no, I am driving" we'll I might as well have grown horns just then.
So, yea, I don't think someone like my colleague should be forbidden from adopting because of one DUI. Presumably he will learn his lesson and not do it again. I do think the penalty should be more severe if the person has children with them.
You have seen those yellow license plates ?
Advertisements
Here in MA, DCF will make moves to waive certain things in a family member's record (nonviolent offenses like check-kiting, or 20 year old DUIs with a clean record since), but they don't always do so. I don't know what the guidelines are about waivers, officially, but I know (from talking to my Resource Worker about waivers) that in the past couple years, when our commissioner handed down a strong mandate to place kiddos with relatives pretty much at all costs, the department was waiving almost everything--including history of DCF involvement--to get kiddos into kinship homes.
Recently (past 6 months?), the department has been waiving fewer kinds of histories, because experience was showing that waiving certain things tended to result in kiddos coming back to care from kinship homes. I don't know which things these are specifically, but I can guess. The department also set in place new standards of timelines for kinship homes to be approved, putting much more onus on the relatives to be pro-active if they want to care for their family member's children. No more hemming and hawing, and maybe we'll take one but not the other, and I haven't finished the paperwork yet, and you can come visit my home next month after "the work" is done on the kitchen. Relatives are given a strict timeline along with the expectations, and if they don't meet the timeline, they are ruled out. This will protect kiddos from going to homes that aren't commited to their care, as well as prevent bounce-backs.
Every state has a different threshold for waivers. Our kiddo's aunt in a bordering state was ruled out as a potential foster or adoptive home during the ICPC process, for a record that (from what I understand), in our state, she may have gotten waived.
The issue of finding placement opportunities for individuals with a history of convictions or struggling with alcoholism is an important and complex topic. While it is essential to acknowledge the challenges and concerns associated with these individuals, it is equally vital to explore opportunities for their rehabilitation and reintegration into society. This forum aims to discuss the possibilities and considerations related to placement opportunities for convicted felons and alcoholics in our local area.
Understanding the Rehabilitation Process:
Before addressing placement opportunities, it is crucial to recognize the significance of the rehabilitation process for individuals with criminal records or alcohol addiction. This process involves addressing the root causes of their behaviors, providing appropriate interventions, and promoting personal growth and development.
Community Support and Rehabilitation Programs:
Our community can play a vital role in supporting the rehabilitation and reintegration of convicted felons and alcoholics. There are various rehabilitation programs, halfway houses, and support groups specifically designed to help individuals transition from a life of crime or addiction to a more productive and healthy lifestyle. These initiatives often focus on counseling, vocational training, educational opportunities, and life skills development.
Collaboration with Local Businesses and Organizations:
Engaging local businesses and organizations is crucial in creating placement opportunities for individuals seeking to rebuild their lives. By fostering partnerships, these entities can provide job opportunities, internships, or apprenticeships to those in need. Collaborations like these can be beneficial for both parties, as it allows businesses to contribute to their community's well-being while providing individuals with a chance to reintegrate into society.
Considerations for Placement Opportunities:
When considering placement opportunities for convicted felons and alcoholics, it is essential to balance public safety with the goal of rehabilitation. Evaluating the severity of past offenses, understanding the progress made in rehabilitation programs, and assessing the individual's commitment to change are factors that should be taken into account. Collaboration with probation officers, social workers, and therapists can help ensure appropriate placement decisions are made.
Awareness and Education:
Raising awareness and promoting education within the community is essential to reduce stigma and foster empathy towards individuals seeking reintegration. Educational initiatives can help dispel misconceptions surrounding rehabilitation, showcase success stories, and encourage community involvement in the process.
Ensuring Support and Aftercare:
Placement opportunities should not end with job placement alone. A comprehensive approach involves providing ongoing support and aftercare services to individuals transitioning back into society. Continued counseling, access to support networks, and programs addressing housing and healthcare can significantly contribute to their long-term success.
For more information visit