Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi there. Obviously I'm new to this forum, given my post count. I am not, however, new to the adoption world. I'm the first father to a lovely three year old boy. I came here because I was looking for a little advise about a ripple that has occurred in my adoption family. My hope was to find a little advise and perspective on how to handle an issue that has been chaffing me for a few days.
Unfortunately I can't bring myself to address that issue here. The current ad scheme on the site, frankly, makes me a little sick and quite upset. An pops up (I'm guessing it's Java, but I honestly don't know enough about web programming to know) within the window. Every time it tells me if I'm pregnant, considering adoption, and need a place to live I should go stay at the Gladney Center for Adoption (their emphasis, not mine). In many situations I could overlook this. Ads make the IT world go 'round. I get that. But these ads only appear on the forum/subforums/threads for birthparents.
I see this as a significant problem. This ad structure doesn't occur anywhere else on the forums I've seen yet. Frankly this ad is unethical in its approach to first mothers. I'm very disappointed to come to a place I felt could be a useful source of support for potential first families and see something like this. Instead of a welcoming environment I encountered an ad structure that felt awkward at best and coercive at worst.
This is unfortunate as I don't feel it properly reflects the attitudes and skills of the people that make this site work so well. Compared to the scores of forums with low traffic, poor search visibility, and broken HTML this site is a shining example of what's possible. I appreciate your hard work and all the skills you bring to bear that I don't even know exist. But this one issue is significant.
It is significant enough that I don't feel comfortable returning to participate with this community. I felt so strongly about this experience I registered with the forum for the sole purpose of giving this feedback. I want this to be a safe space for men and women who are discerning the best plans for their children's care. I want to recommend this as a valuable resource to people who need support.
There are few enough birthfathers engaging the adoption community already. Is it really appropriate to put such a big hurdle in the way to one of the few places they can go?
Thank you for your time and attention.
Sincerely,
I_Am
I fully agree! It seems to just come up when you come to the birthparents forum and just in the last few days. It is so so offensive.
Advertisements