Advertisements
Advertisements
So I adopted my son at the end of Nov 2011. I was told the adoption worker was going to send for my AS new birth certificate and SS card. I recieved the birth certificate in time to file my taxes. Like everyone else we were put in review due ATC, they excepted that and sent me the funds for the ATC and my regular refund minus the $1000 child credit for my AS. So basically they gave me my ATC for him but didnt count him as a dependent. Silly. So I called the irs, explained I hadnt yet got the new ss card and they fixed it.
So this year I e-file my taxes and they are rejected. I find out that its because his name and social dont match. I look into it and realize I never got his new SS card! Ok, so its totally my fault for forgetting and not following up, but what should I do now? ANY btdt? Can I just enter his pre-adoptive name on my refund? Or will it get flagged since I filed the ATC last year?
I really dont want to wait to file till I get this fixed with the ss office.
fostermommy65
So I adopted my son at the end of Nov 2011. I was told the adoption worker was going to send for my AS new birth certificate and SS card. I recieved the birth certificate in time to file my taxes. Like everyone else we were put in review due ATC, they excepted that and sent me the funds for the ATC and my regular refund minus the $1000 child credit for my AS. So basically they gave me my ATC for him but didnt count him as a dependent. Silly. So I called the irs, explained I hadnt yet got the new ss card and they fixed it.
So this year I e-file my taxes and they are rejected. I find out that its because his name and social dont match. I look into it and realize I never got his new SS card! Ok, so its totally my fault for forgetting and not following up, but what should I do now? ANY btdt? Can I just enter his pre-adoptive name on my refund? Or will it get flagged since I filed the ATC last year?
I really dont want to wait to file till I get this fixed with the ss office.
I'm sorry...but, odds are, it's best to get his new card taken care of and re file with that. It is also possible that when you go for the new card, they will give him a NEW number as well...and that would mess you up even further! It's messy...but, it would only make it messier to try to ad lib now!
Advertisements
I had that exact thing happen. After spending forever on the phone, we had to get the new SS then respond to the rejection..
my DH managed it so my verbage could be wrong, but ours didn't get settled until June that year
If you go in with the paperwork, you should have a social security number almost immediately as long as there is already a Birth Certificate. Make sure that you request that the SS# be changed so that it is one no one else knows. I know that with my DD, I needed hers and went in and had it in a few minutes.
My Adopted Kiddos took a few months because the SS office had to wait for their birth certificates to be issued.
The same thing happened to us but it was years ago so no ATC was involved. We just resubmitted with his old name and actually did that for a couple of years before FINALLY getting the SS# and name change fixed.
Kezs
If you go in with the paperwork, you should have a social security number almost immediately as long as there is already a Birth Certificate. Make sure that you request that the SS# be changed so that it is one no one else knows. I know that with my DD, I needed hers and went in and had it in a few minutes.
My Adopted Kiddos took a few months because the SS office had to wait for their birth certificates to be issued.
I had the same experience. They gave me a paper with his new SS on it right away until I got the actual card in the mail a few weeks later.
Advertisements
Yes this happened to me, but thankfully we caught it before filing! Do NOT put his previous name, you will have way more problems! Just go in to a SS office and request a name change. There was a problem with my AS's birth cert so we had to wait 2 months, but they said it usually only takes a couple weeks to get his new card. Then re-file taxes.
Thanks for the advice, but I still don't know which I should do...lol! For those of you that used the old last name, did it hold up our return? That is kinda what I was leaning toward doing. But I definatly do not want to wait even longer for my refund.
I guess I could just go to that social security office and see how long it will take to get the new info, I don't think I need a new number, I had him since 4 weeks and the bios never had the number, his cw was the one who filed for the card.
Just Breath - I never recieved a PM from you. Can you try again?
Thanks again
Two years ago, it happened to us. We filed our taxes before we changed our daughter's name with Social Security. I put the new name with the old number when we filed. We got a letter in the mail that our return was on hold because the name-number didn't match. I called the number on the letter and the woman at the IRS changed the name on the return to the old one, and released the hold. It took about five minutes. She told me that we should have used the old name until we got it changed with SS.
Advertisements