Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a question for the birth mothers I've been curious about. I was talking with my husband earlier about open/semi open adoptions and our future relationship with the woman who chooses us and I started wondering...Why did you choose the parents you did? What are your personal expectations for the adoptive parents with your children? Is there anything you wish they did/didn't do?
:thanks:
I chose the parents I did for several reasons: we shared the same faith in God, we had similar values/morals about family, they valued the importance of open adoption for their children. These were the main reasons. I also liked that they were very laidback and easygoing, they were approachable and friendly, easy to talk to. I liked that they were parenting other children and I could tell they genuinely loved their childrens birth families. I guess my only expectations for them would be that I expect them to honor what they told me about open adoption and my continuing involvement in their lives. My other expectation would be that they are open with our daughter about adoption, who I am, and allow her to express her feelings and process her adoption experience, which so far, they are doing these things! I do not have any expectations about how they parent or choices they make because I trusted them with the most precious person in the world to me and I continue to trust them every day.
Advertisements
Old post, I know. BUT...
I chose mine because their profile looked... REAL.
There were tons of profiles that just looked like something out of Stepford Wives... Pics in the kitchen baking, big unnatural smiles... It was like a bunch of Home decor magazines. They were all like they were trying to say "the right thing".
It was off-putting for me.
The parents I picked (just matched yesterday! woo!) felt GENUINE in their photos and answers.
That's what drew me to them.
So in conclusion, for anyone who stumbles on this post...
Be real. Use a lot of candid photos.
The whole "big grin, head cocked to the side, holding a tray of fresh baked cookies".... Just looks like a magazine.
Many emoms want to see the real you.
Oh and same goes for the first phone call. Yes, it's nerve wracking, but BE REAL! If you are quirky, be quirky! Be you! BE YOU! We want to know what you're all about.
At least for me, anyway.
Ugh, I keep adding to this lol.
My aparents were so so easy to talk to. They had me on speaker, lol, so we all got to talk together. They told me all about them. About their fears. About their dreams. About their life and family. It was all so very real and intimate, and honest. All my own anxiety melted away. We have a lot in common in that we're both adopted ourselves, and it made it easy to relate. After the call, and feeling like I really knew who they were, I knew I'd found the parents for my baby. <3
Advertisements