Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello Fellow Adopting Parents,
My husband and I live in Chicago, IL and are new to the adoption process (we haven't even started the home study yet). I am feeling a little overwhelmed since there are so many options when it comes to choosing an agency. If anyone can please help with information as to who they used for their home study, what agency they chose to go with, I would greatly appreciate it!!!:love:
What type of adoption are you pursuing? Foster/Adopt, private, independent, international? What worked for me is taking one step at a time? What would you like in an agency, know that beforehand, then that will help you filter through them faster.
After you decide what agency you're going to use, then go through their list of requirements one step at a time. I made a list of everything I needed to do and would cross them off whenever something was done. Someone suggested to me whenever you cross something off the list, go buy something for your child. I still remember holding my daughter's first pair of socks in my hands because I had finished something off the list.
Remember these are the first steps to an amazing lifechanging experience.
Best of luck!
Advertisements
Thanks for your response Yash!! We are pursuing a domestic infant adoption and I've been told provate is the only way to go... Should we get our own home study done independently then choose an agency? How was your home study process? Any pointers? As far as an agency goes, there are so many to choose from here in Illinois, the Cradle keeps coming up so we are attending an orientation next Thursday!!!
I'm not familiar with agencies specific to IL, but I do think you should have an idea of which agencies you might use before doing a home study. Many agencies require you to use their home study services and will not accept an independent home study. Don't waste time and money by being caught unaware of this fact.
I remember how stressful this time was!! I pray that you find the agency that is the perfect fit for you! Good luck on your journey!!
I would choose the agency first, then see who they suggest or recommend for your homestudy.
Are you own any adoption yahoo groups? I found my international agency through recommendations from a christian adoption yahoo group I was on. My private fost/adoption agency, a co-worker saw their ad in a magazine and I called, liked what I heard, and went with them.
Hopefully the orientation will go great and you'll find your agency as easy as that.
Keep us updated! Will this be your first?
Waverly,
I have read that many do accept independent home studies but they do charge a fee to accept that home study so you are right, unwelcomed expenses...
Stressful is right!!! Thank you, prayers are welcomed, it's all we're doing these days :) Praying that God would direct us to the right place...
Vanessa
Advertisements
Yash,
No we aren't on any Yahoo groups, didn't even know about them... Thank you!
This is our first, so overwhelming... So many choices. We are trying to go with an agency that works with other states so that we may get matched sooner... We spoke to Adoptions America but their prices are astronomical!!!
Still doing a lot of research at this point... Thank you for your response :)
Vanessa