Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi There!
I'm looking for advice on how to explain to a young child that there is no information on their ethnic origin or bio family? We have very little information and I am unsure of how to answer questions. Is a simple "We don't know" good enough?
Any advice/thoughts would be welcome!!!
I think answering honestly that you don't know is as much as you can do. It's the truth too! Did you look up anyone on FB just to make sure you can't find any baby photos of information?
Advertisements
Unless the child was a baby safe haven with TPR on unknown mother and father there should have been a fairly detailed report about the child provided to you, the adopting parents at the time you agreed to adopt. If it was incomplete did you ask for more? CA (per your profile) is one of the states with stronger laws in regards to this per child welfare gateway below and written into the CA Family code.
As an adoptee I had to deal with this and quite frankly it sucks - sum total I think my story was three or four sentences of why I was surrendered for adoption - which turned out to be pretty much a made up story by the social worker - I had no health history, nationality, age of mother, knowledge of other family - zip. Half a century later unless there are specific reasons (i.e. safe have surrender) there should be much more. Would "I don't know" be good enough for you for your entire life - is the question you need to ask - if not go and fight for it for your child. Make them provide you what they are required to do by law.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Generally, information compiled about the person to be adopted includes medical and genetic history, family and social background, mental health history, placement history, and any history of abuse or neglect. In 15 States, the requirements ask for detailed information about the child, including medical and developmental history, as well as any school records.3
3 California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, and Washington.
CA Family code: 8706. (a) An agency may not place a child for adoption unless a written report on the child's medical background and, if available, the medical background of the child's biological parents so far as ascertainable, has been submitted to the prospective adoptive parents and they have acknowledged in writing the receipt of the report. (b) The report on the child's background shall contain all known diagnostic information, including current medical reports on the child, psychological evaluations, and scholastic information, as well as all known information regarding the child's developmental history and family life. (c) (1) The biological parents may provide a blood sample at a clinic or hospital approved by the State Department of Health Services. The biological parents' failure to provide a blood sample shall not affect the adoption of the child. (2) The blood sample shall be stored at a laboratory under contract with the State Department of Health Services for a period of 30 years following the adoption of the child. (3) The purpose of the stored sample of blood is to provide a blood sample from which DNA testing can be done at a later date after entry of the order of adoption at the request of the adoptive parents or the adopted child. The cost of drawing and storing the blood samples shall be paid for by a separate fee in addition to the fee required under Section 8716. The amount of this additional fee shall be based on the cost of drawing and storing the blood samples but at no time shall the additional fee be more than one hundred dollars ($100). (d) (1) The blood sample shall be stored and released in such a manner as to not identify any party to the adoption. (2) Any results of the DNA testing shall be stored and released in such a manner as to not identify any party to the adoption.
*Access to Nonidentifying Information
Citation: Fam. Code ǧ 8706; 8817
Nonidentifying information about the birth parents and adoptee, such as medical history, scholastic information, psychological evaluations, and developmental history, is provided to the [url=http://adopting]Adoption, International, Domestic, Waiting Child, Baby, Infant, Open[/url] parents.
[url=http://laws.adoption.com/statutes/california-laws.html]California Adoption Laws[/url]
Last update on July 24, 7:50 am by Sachin Gupta.