Advertisements
Advertisements
I am OCI card holder and planning to move to India soon. The guidelines in cara website says OCI in India should follow the guidelines below:
41. Adoption by OCI living in India. -
(1) The OCI (s), who are citizens of a country that has ratified the Hague Convention and they have returned to India and have been residing in India for more than one year, shall be eligible to adopt a child following procedure of Inter-country adoption under these Guidelines.
(2) The PAP(s) shall approach CARA along with a certificate of No-objection to the proposed adoption from the embassy or mission of the country of their nationality.
(3) On receipt of the certificate of No Objection, CARA shall refer the case to a RIPA for carrying out the Home Study and preparation of PAP(s) dossier.
(4) The procedures stipulated under these Guidelines for inter-country adoption shall be followed by the RIPA.
(5) In such cases, the Embassy or Missions in India of the country of the nationality of the OCI shall give an undertaking for post-adoption follow-up as stipulated in Chapter IV of these Guidelines.
(6) In case, the OCI continues to reside in India during the stipulated post-adoption follow-up period, the concerned RIPA would undertake such follow-ups and report to the embassy or mission and CARA.
My question is: Can someone please clarify how to obtain this no objection certificate from Indian Embassy in New Delhi?
Thanks in advance.
Hi RJM, I was wondering if you got any answers to your question as I am in a similar situation now. Although I am an Indian Citizen, my husband is an OCI and we have been residing in India for the past 5 years. Can you or anyone else guide us as to how to adopt in India? I don't believe it should be inter-country as we have moved here for good.
Advertisements
moonstone2013
Hi RJM, I was wondering if you got any answers to your question as I am in a similar situation now. Although I am an Indian Citizen, my husband is an OCI and we have been residing in India for the past 5 years. Can you or anyone else guide us as to how to adopt in India? I don't believe it should be inter-country as we have moved here for good.
Hi Moonstone i'm in a similar quandary. Didyou get a response to your query? Most grateful for advice, thank you!
adhyaac
Hi Moonstone i'm in a similar quandary. Didyou get a response to your query? Most grateful for advice, thank you!
You will need to follow the inter-country process even if you live in India since your husband is an OCI, irrespective of how long you have been living in India.
RJM,
It is pretty straightforward to obtain the NOC. You just need to call the US Embassy in Delhi and ask for it. They had emailed it to me in 2 days and couriered a hardcopy within the week. All they need is a cover letter and a soft copy of your passport to verify you are a US Citizen indeed. They will explain this over the phone.
Goodluck.
If you contact orphanages in rural areas they will be able to do yours in a domestic approach. Otherwise most big orphanages in cities will ask you to follow the international approach. Just our experience.
Advertisements
Thanks moonstone. unfortunately all the orphanages have asked us to apply @ the state level and get our papers transferred to them...this is in AP. Any other state experience where we can go to rural orphanages directly. I really fail to see the long winded bureaucracy given that a child would get a loving home.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to start the process of domestic adoption as an OCI until you have been living in India for a year. If you try to do a domestic adoption as an OCI, even if the local authorities accept your application, you could not get a U.S. visa for the child, if you want to bring her to the U.S., because you did not follow the Hague Convention rules.
If you are living in the U.S., and you want to complete your adoption before you go to India, you would need to go through the full Hague international adoption process. You would need to work with a U.S. agency to have a homestudy, prepare a dossier, and obtain USCIS approval to bring a child into the U.S. Your agency would work with the authorities in an Indian state to identify a child for you. If you agree to accept the child, your agency would help you obtain the necessary Hague paperwork from the U.S. Embassy and the Indian government. You would then travel to meet and adopt your child.
Sharon
I would contact and consult an Adoption Agency.
What you are doing . Would be the ' reverse ' of what a Adoptive Parent and Family would be doing under normal cirumstances???