Advertisements
Advertisements
This was a response to another thread, but I wanted to start a new one, as we have a great home, live in a great community, are approved future Adoptive parents, yet we are still waiting for a match. There has been shockingly such little activity regarding potential matches - where are all the kids that need a home??
------
We're in the Tidewater area - completed Homestudy, Feb 2013 - shocked at how little activity there is.
We're looking to do older child adoption - a girl 8 and younger. As future Adoptive parents, we get the feel that we're a distant last place in the big picture.
Why doesn't Virginia let families with approved background checks and Homestudies see ALL children that are TPR?? We are getting the feeling that as long as the children are in Foster care, then there is no real pressure to find them permanent homes.
Virginia needs a centralized database of Foster Children that is secured only for Adoption Workers and approved families, and it should be mandated that Foster workers list all the children in it!
We always hear about all the children that need a home, yet here we wait, waiting for a call about a match.
From my understanding (having researched adoption in VA when I lived there), VA has the lowest number of kids in foster care of any state in the country (or maybe it's the lowest percent, but either way they don't have a lot of kids compared to other states), and something like 90% of kids who are adopted from foster care are adopted by their foster families. So, not only are there comparatively few kids in care compared to other states, but of the kids who do come into care and do become available for adoption, very few are legally free and waiting for a match.
You might want to look into the possibility of adopting from another state, though there may be a cost. NC has a lot more kids available for adoption than VA. When I lived in VA I was actually planning to adopt from NC (where I'm originally from), but then I ended up getting a job in NC and moved here first.
Advertisements