Advertisements
Advertisements
So one final question (for today...hehe)
I am really curious about this...without going into too many details- based on what I know and according to the CW Daisy's b-mom basically "faked" her way to the first RU.
HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE???
And by that I mean how does a life-long drug abuser with a long history of homelessness...prostitution even (no doubt related to drugs)...successfully convince a college educated judge, GAL and social worker that she is a changed person and is able to parent safely?
By her CW's own admission she "faked it" the first time. I know she faked her housing...but how does one fake a neg drug screen??? Her worker did say she had at least one very diluted test...but I find it very hard to believe she stopped using long enough to convince them RU was a good move.
Obviously it makes me nervous about "round two"- even though her CW said they are on to her now and she would not be able to "fake it" this time.
I just wonder if anyone has had experience with bios manipulating their drug tests some how or "faking" their way to RU? Obviously there are many times where kids are sent home when they shouldn't be...but from what I know about my county they are pretty hard on the offending bios and don't make it easy for the kids to go home.
It just blows me away that she was able to go home the first time...
fuzzybunny
well, i think the difference is she isnt fooling them but she is meeting the bare minimums required by law as outlined in her caseplan.
she may have skipped a few visits, been mostly compliant with UAs and didnt get picked up by the police during that time so their hands were tied.
from what i understand, the standards for bio families are low. like, would annoy the filth out of you because we jump through flaming hoops to become worthy while its cool for them to feed a kid cheetos and kool aid 24/7 and lay out a blanket on the floor as their "bed"
so it was obviously fake because while she maybe-sorta-kinda met the requirements for RU and no doubt had an appointed attorney that made her look like a functioning member of community... she still couldnt parent effectively.
but the case plan doesnt include a written exam, "do you bathe the baby with a hose or in the bath tub?" "do you feed the baby formula or motor oil?" so when she felt like she was off the hook, she let her guard down and got bagged.
if she lost her child once and the shock of that entire situation wasnt enough to scare her straight, i would be surprised to see her get it together enough for a judge to RU a second time.
I see what you are saying- but I guess I mean that there were things she literally faked. Like she was required to get housing and fooled them into believing an apartment was hers- in her name. When in reality it was not hers and when they went to visit her there she wasn't there but crashing with friends. And she was required to be clean and it sounds like she may have faked that too. How does one fake being clean? I am not very versed in the drug culture...
Advertisements
Maybe they are telling you bio mom was "faking" it, because they don't want to look bad. Maybe she really did do good - for awhile. But as with most addicts, she just couldn't keep it up, it wasn't a "real" change, it was just going through the motions to accomplish a goal, to get Daisy back. She might have been able to stay clean for while, get housing, maybe even a job, but couldn't keep it because she didn't really deal with the real issues surrounding her using - so in that sense, I guess you can say she was faking it.
There may have been things she lied about that they consider "faking". My STBAS's bio mom lied about different relationships that she had. No one really believed the lies but maybe Daisy's mom was more convincing.
I wonder often about the drug tests too. STBAS's bio mom skipped out on the majority of her tests. A handful were dilute. I am pretty sure she only showed up when she knew she would be clean. However, she really didn't show up too often for UAs and fought really hard to do the patch instead. this made everyone really suspicious, because why would anyone on earth argue so hard for a particular drug-testing method? she finally did get the patch and was supposed to do UAs as well but skipped the UAs. Then she tested positive for cocaine on the patch. We figure she must've thought she had a way to cheat the patch and that is why she wanted it so bad.
One of the reasons STBAS was removed is that they were supposed to test his hair for drug exposure, but when CW showed up to take him for the test his head had been shaved. Seriously. SHAVED. Before that his hair was really long -- we had been fighting for months for his mom to let us go take him to get his hair cut because it was always so dirty and nasty. So she claimed that she "just wanted to get his hair cut". Right. You just HAPPEN to SHAVE YOUR KID'S HEAD right before he is supposed to be tested for drug exposure.
Because of that I think she would've known that it was possible that she would get a hair stat test at some point too, and would try to figure out how to cheat it ... eventually they did do a hair stat test and it was clean. It shouldn't have been, it should've at least shown marijuana use. So I do think she managed to figure out a way around that.
there have been threads on this before and most people will say that it is just about impossible to cheat drug tests. But honestly, knowing as many details as I do about my sister and her case, I think that there must be some ways to cheat. It just doesn't add up otherwise.
If they are not watched when taking the drug test, they can substitute someone else urine for there own. Have the friend pee into a baggie and tape the clean urine to there own leg.
Cocaine I believe is out of your system after 3 days, so that can be a timing thing.
atoz123
If they are not watched when taking the drug test, they can substitute someone else urine for there own. Have the friend pee into a baggie and tape the clean urine to there own leg.
Cocaine I believe is out of your system after 3 days, so that can be a timing thing.
This
Also, in my state at least, when drug use is involved they first must go in for a drug assessment. This is where they will answer questions from a drug councilor and then the councilor will decide if the bio needs in patient rehab, out patient rehab, na meetings etc.
My sibs bio mom did the assessment THREE times until she got the easiest answer. Ridiculous!!!!
I know SW's in my state don't ask for lease papers. They can just show up at a home/apartment and assume its theirs. There are a lot of abandoned homes in our downtown. I KNOW and GAL was pretty sure HB bio mom was squattiing in the " home" they lived in. GAL said she couldn't/didn't have the time to further investigate:eek:
Advertisements
I really wonder how much actual checking they do into the bios stories. Besides the drug tests (which I'll touch on later) I think a lot of the "faking" is just plain LIES that aren't verified and corrected.
I have had my FS since November. For a while the case was stalled, as mom was in jail. Once she got out the very first staffing left me very alarmed. She was reporting that she was attending AA and NA meeting three times a week...but, gee...she didn't know she was supposed to have the leader sign anything. She was going to counseling...and the counselor's name was Lisa, but goes, she couldn't remember where and couldn't remember her last name. Many other things. And a month later at court no one had followed up on any of those. Now Mom has dropped out of the case, but I was really left to wonder if any of that would ever be confirmed!
our bio did do most everything on her plan, almost everything. but her husband did nothing on his plan and was the reason they ended up not RU. our parenting class did have one on one classes, with kids, without kids, and written assessment at the end
When they "miss" every other drug test, have several diluted drugs tests then it can be months without a postive screen. Think about how long every.single.thing takes in the foster care world. She should not have been able to fake a place to live - she should be showing her lease with her name on it, that's not that hard and it sounds like the caseworker wasn't doing their job. And who even says having a place to live and having diluted drug tests is up to standard to begin with? Was there not other issues? When they start to recognize that most of these parents issues are not physical issues, but that the physical issues are manifests of mental and personality issues will they finally start figuring out the "best interest of the child" and we might start to see a reduction in the bounce back kids.
GenericFosterParent
When they "miss" every other drug test, have several diluted drugs tests then it can be months without a postive screen. Think about how long every.single.thing takes in the foster care world. She should not have been able to fake a place to live - she should be showing her lease with her name on it, that's not that hard and it sounds like the caseworker wasn't doing their job. And who even says having a place to live and having diluted drug tests is up to standard to begin with? Was there not other issues? When they start to recognize that most of these parents issues are not physical issues, but that the physical issues are manifests of mental and personality issues will they finally start figuring out the "best interest of the child" and we might start to see a reduction in the bounce back kids.
Exactly. Her own family has insisted to the workers and judge that they know her and she isn't going to change. A life time of drug abuse and probably mental illness- not sure if the chicken or egg came first.
The CW admits that mom pulled one over on her with the housing. She made it look like she was going to be living in a nice apartment- but CW didn't check the lease.
I would think that should be required. Sometimes I wonder if they don't dig because they want to turn a blind eye. Sad if that is true...
Advertisements
I guess if there is one good thing going for Daisy- it seems like the judge and CW are "on to" mom's ways this time and they were never really removed from the case...so they have seen her downward spiral. I hope that means that they won't push for RU.
Also coke seems to be her drug of choice- is it REALLY only in your system 3 days? Seems like they should be testing a coke-addict every 2 days then during treatment. There could be other drugs- seems most addicts branch out even if they have a favorite.
I just hope they really make her abide by the testing and such this time. Last I heard she hasn't been evaluated and tested yet.
I have heard of people buying kits that are supposed to clean the drugs out of their system and it can show up as being too clean. I think it must wash out something else that's supposed to be there. That's probably how she passed the drug test. I do not know exactly what they have to do but there are kits out there.
I have heard of using someone else's urine inserted into a catheter into the user's bladder so body temp is fine and a supervised test looks normal...
Advertisements
Never under estimate the tricks of an addict. They sell stuff you can drink to clean your system for a window of time.
I would try to stop worrying about the case because it will make you insane!!! There are always so many ups and downs. I try not to think much until a cw is coming or its the week of court. It was making me so anxious to think about it all the time.
There is definitely something you can do to pass the urine tests - but blood and hair follicle tests are more accurate, and the drug appears longer in them. Anybody know how often they test people on probation for substance abuse crime issues?