Advertisements
Advertisements
My family will have an adoption home study finished next week. My husband and I married after he divorced his first wife. He ended up with full custody of three kiddos, which I have been helping him raise since they were 4, 5 and 6 years old. Kids are now 13, 14, and 15 now. We also have a bio 6 year old together. Our goal is to adopt a GLBTQ teen. I have been contacted by a social worker from Los Angeles who says they will have a potential adoptive match almost immediately for us. We live in rural Illinois. My questions are:
Has anyone done an ICPC with California?
Was it scary?
Is it unusual for a other state to want to send a kid across the country for adoption?
Yes, I know we a insane. :). Thanks in advance for any responses.
Not unusual to send them across the county. There are SO SO many teens.. and here if the kiddo is 9 + then it is hard to get them placed due to too much "baggage".
Being an open lesbian, it is so amazing that you are willing to reach out to this population. It can be difficult to be that lifestyle and worry about being rejected.
Advertisements
Any updates on your process?? I am intrigued! I wanted to adopt a bisexual teenager out of Utah but he wanted to stay in state.
Still waiting! CW cancelled out appointment saying she lost some of our paperwork. Grrr! So now we have our final home visit on Tuesday night, July 9th. I'm hoping she has found everything we have sent her by then. My references are confused as to why they may have to send paperwork in again, but the are more than willing. My state doesn't really identify lgbtq youth in care, which is why California seems like such a good option for us. Growing up i had many friends who felt so different and rejected because of their sexual orientation. I never want my kids or other kids to feel that way. We raise our existing children to know that there is nothing wrong with loving someone of the same sex.
Advertisements
We haven't actually been officially matched. A worker in California told me that they had a potential adoptive match as soon as we were approved. I am guessing he is a male or she is a transgender MtoF teen. They can't release any info to us until we are officially approved.
How cool!
I did find many places (in multiple states) wanted to speak with me when they knew I had experience with LGBT teens.
They can be hard to place - NOT because of them, but because many people are unequipped to handle having a queer kid.
It seems the boys have it worse... Too many people are shy about signing up to parent a "sissy" boy.
best of luck to you <3
The licensing worker cancelled on meat the last minute again. This is the 4th time this has happened. She says she forgot about our appointment. :(
Advertisements
She then rescheduled for later in the week and cancelled that as well. When I asked her if she had found our lost paperwork, she wouldn't answer me. I called our local state agency to see if we can switch to them since this private agency doesn't seem to have it together. :(
That is really sad.
Well wish me luck..at 1:45 (12:13 now) my homestudy goes to the certification review team to see if Ill be licensed! Then my home inspection and Im done
So how did it go? We had our final home visit on Friday, finally! It went well. I just need to get vet records on our pets and we will be set. In the meantime, a worker from the state of Missouri is looking to place a kid for us. He is adorable and we are in the processor finding out more about him.
How old is the kiddo? Awesome that you may have a prospective kiddo already! Are you looking at adopting one?
I passed the certification board :cheer:
Tuesday I have my home inspection...:banana: and hten Ill be open the same day!!!!:cheer:
Advertisements