Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all,
I'm hoping for some insight and guidance. I'm not new to the site, but this is my first post. Anyhow, my family has been licensed since Nov. '12 and we've received a few calls here and there, said yes to all, but the referrals fell through on each for reasons beyond our control. We went through a private agency and are open to any counties and will travel as our agency is about an hour away from us, in another county. Our specs are a bit narrow I realize- Up to age 7/8, any race, siblings ok, temporary or permanent, boy or girls. I suppose I expected more than 4 calls in 8 months and for at least one of them to go beyond that first call. I've asked our agency what I could do to get our name out there, and they say basically, "We know it's frustrating, we're working on it, be patient." I can be patient, sure. Honestly, I'm not consumed by the wait or anything, I'm just thinking, Did I choose the right agency? Are there really no kids out there in our specs? If there are, why aren't we on the list of considered families? Should I have gone through county? Why is there nothing I can do to get this moving? Is it our profile that isn't ideal? Is it the specs are too tight? So many rambling questions run through my mind. Any insight anyone could provide would be helpful. It's hard to know if you're doing things right, when it's something you haven't done before and really there isn't anything (I don't think anyhow) that I can do in the meantime.
Thanks.
Ok - I may be out of my element..... but have you gone to the adoptuskids website or heart gallery or adoption exchange and just emailed about kids that are showing available that are in your specs?
The only reason I ask..... is I was inquiring during our foster care classes before licensing about those websites and if there was significant developmental/behavioral issues with those kids and that's why they hadn't been adopted and/or were featured kids.
Our instructor actually KNEW one of the boys that I had inquired about and assured me he was a great kid with virtually NO issues.... he as just "old" (8) by most adoptive standards.... and he was mixed race (Hispanic/Caucasian).
If I were you, I would check out some of those websites..... You can have your worker/agency send over your home study. There's typically a link next to the kid's bio that says "email for more info on kidsname", you just click it and it will send an email to their worker.
Sorry you're having a tough time...... Good luck to you!
Advertisements
I have inquired about those children and check the sites often. I was being considered for one on there, but during the meetings that the child's case workers had, they changed their mind and decided to try to place a sibling (already in another home) along with this child as well. Which would have been fine with us, but the sibling has an extensive history of violent and abusive behaviors toward other children and adults, so I had to say no since I have other children in our home to consider at this time. That was our most promising referral. Sadly those children are still listed on the sites and I hope they find a family who can help that kid work out his issues, and keep the other one safe in the process. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!!
What county are you in? We are not licensed yet, but a friend of mine has gotten a handful of calls, (5-6) in the last 3-4 months, but none of them ended up being placed with her for whatever reason. She is in montour county, although I think the agency in is northumberland. Hope you get some calls soon!
We were with county, and got plenty of calls. After we adopted thru the county, we went with an agency our friends recommended. No placements - well two respites - for a year and a half! Went back to county, and had a placement before our training was complete! Been full ever since. Go with the county!!!
Advertisements