Advertisements
Advertisements
My Husband and I are thinking about fostering children from age newborn to 5 years old, and with any children older we would do it by a case by case basis. I'm wondering if they have any classes on the weekend as my Husband works full time during the week, and works fairly late in the evening, we also were wondering how long it would take to go through the whole process of becoming a foster parent, and what the Home Study consists of and what we need in our home in order to foster children from age newborn to 5 years old. What does everybody think of being a foster parent in the Phoenix area, are the social workers good to work with, and does it take a long time to get licensed to become a foster parent in the Phoenix area.
Hi,
We have done all the steps and are just waiting on our license to be processed by OLCR. The classes can be done on the weekend. The homestudy really just was having our worker come to our house a few times and interview us. They ask a bunch of questions. They give you paperwork to fill out and it also gives you what they will be checking when they come to do the home inspection. It was all really painless and the most frustrating part has been the state taking over a month so far to process it all- but I have heard they are really backed up. We are going through Catholic Charities and have been really impressed with our case worker.
Good luck and you should do it!
Advertisements
My husband and I are also nearly done with the licensing process. We actually just finished our last training class last night. 10 weeks, 3 hours a week. I found the classes very helpful. They said everything else will be done within the next 30 days and since we have all our paper work done, we are first in their list. We are going through West Valley Child Crisis Center and it has been such a welcoming, positive experience. I know the key is to find a good licensing agency because the case workers will rarely call you back and tend to not be so helpful. Attend an orientation and start meeting with agencies. We started our classes June 20th, so not so bad time wise. The Arizona foster care system is overloaded with kids and there just aren't enough foster homes. Good luck, I hope you do it.