Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, my name is Michele! My husband's name is Chris, and we have 2 bio children. DS is 8, DD is 9. Today we submitted the the initiation form to adopt through the foster system. We have known since we married that we wanted to adopt "someday," but just not sure when "someday" would come. Last month we decided "someday" was now. The night after DH and I discussed it (we discussed it after kids were asleep), the kids came to us and said "Hey, when are we going to get around to adopting?"
So, anyway, today we went to the "Wait No More" conference in Orlando and filled out that first bit of paperwork. We are excited, nervous...:woohoo:
Our children each had nicknames while I was pregnant with them. Our new child has a nickname. He/She is Kendall. Later on, the 4 of us will go and choose a Build a Bear and name it Kendall, and I'll make a little shirt that says "Happy Gotcha Day." The kids bears have Happy Birthday shirts on them, and they received those at the hospital, and Kendall will receive his/her bear when they come to their forever home.
Hi Michele! Thanks for the introduction. My names Lacey and I had to respond to your post as my husband and I went to the Wait No More conference and are starting our adoption process too! That was such a great day and so inspiring.
We have not ever adopted before either.
We are headed to an orientation tomorrow for Florida Baptist Children's Homes. Who did you choose to work with? I am getting nervous worrying about what the next step will be and if I have the right questions ready but it is so exciting too.
:flower: :flower:
Advertisements
Haha! We will be at that orientation @ FBCH, too! Leaning towards going with them. We had a couple of more questions for them before knowing for sure. :love:
Hope it went good for you guys. We are still trying to decide but I think we are going for the private adoption. Did you guys get your questions answered?
We did. Also found out on Monday that FBCH doesn't offer PRIDE classes in Brevard, so I called the guy here with Brevard Family Partnership. He was genuinely confused about why we went to orientation, because everything covered in orientation is covered in the first week of his PRIDE class. But, since we had put so much effort into driving out to Orlando for a class that, it turns out, we didn't need, he added us to his class roster and we start classes October 9!!! Also, he said since we're adopting from the foster system, we don't have to sign with an agency. :confused: Apparently we received conflicting information from FBCH. Since he works with the county system here, I'm going to go with what he says.
We just finished Brevard PRIDE (Sept 2013). We are now doing our homestudy. We joined the Space Coast Foster Adoptive Family Allliance last month also, which we found to be a great resource to connect with other families. (They meet in West Melbourne once a month) There is only 1 agency that does foster care in Brevard County, they will be the ones to license you once you complete PRIDE and the homestudy.
Advertisements