Advertisements
Advertisements
How do your extended families feel about you doing foster/adopt? Other than my adult children, my family doesn't agree with DH and I doing it. DH's family is ok with it, even though they'd rather he could have bio kids. We will basically be doing this journey with no family support. At least it cuts down on the long trips to visit them all. DH and I are fine with doing it all on our own, but it can be hard to have all the negative junk flying around.
I think at first some people were like why would you want to do that? Then when they meet the kids some people understand better, and your family will accept them. There will always be people who do not and will not get it, and others who think that you are getting rich off of foster care.
Advertisements
We are lucky to have our families support, though I am not sure they fully understand the process and all that goes with it. I share my thoughts and feelings and just hope everyone is on board.
My side of the family is awesome with it. Especially my mom, she's known how I feel about fostering/adopting since I was a kid. My in-laws (and extended from there) are mostly worried about the heartbreak. But, we don't see them very often, so no biggie.
They may come around. If they don't, your family will be those who support you. I'm sorry yours isn't.
Depends on what you mean by support. My mom has been clear with me that she thinks it is not a good thing for me to do, but we've also talked about the why's. My son (adopted privately) is a little over 2, I'm a single mom, and she's worried it will negatively affect both me and him. I have given up on trying to convince her that I am right and it is the right time/ right thing. I've also been clear that I expect her to support me even though she doesn't agree, and her response was "of course." That includes not telling me that I am doing the wrong thing, treating the kids like family, etc. It's hard not to be able to turn to her for support in the same way I could when I was working on private adoption, but I have other people for that. I guess it's different in that I know she will love the kids and accept them as her grandkids, it will just take time.
Advertisements
I'm so sorry that you don't have your families' support!
My family wants us to be placed with bunches of kids and they're very supportive.
My stepmom (who basically raised me) is the only one who is kinda against it. She said that we won't know what "issues" these kids come with, etc, etc and how hard it's going to be, blah blah blah. She's always been one to think negatively on most things. But after some talking with her, she said my she knows that my partner and I have a strong relationship, that she knows that I'm going to be great at it and that it takes a big person to be willing to take in children like this. I guess that's her thing. She never wanted to be a mom period... then my Aunt found me and my brother in foster care (my mom disappeared with us a few years before that) and suddenly she had two instant kids as they moved my brother and I in with them. SHE wouldn't do it, so she expects me to feel the same, and I don't. My dad is supportive though I think he's worried about the hard parts as well. My partners family is beyond supportive. They already always ask when we are going to have the kiddos. I know they will all end up loving them so I'm not worried, I just think my parents (who are the more logical "what if" thinkers) need some adjustment time for themselves.