Advertisements
Advertisements
I've known I was adopted ever since I've been old enough to understand what "adoption" basically means. It was explained to me as "the mommy who had you inside her tummy couldn't take care of you, so she decided to give you to another family who could".
Do I regret knowing? Absolutely not. I got the best mom I ever could have hoped for. My father is never going to be "Father of the Year", but I have a fairly decent relationship with him and all of my adoptive family.
I think maybe I'd like to meet my birthmother. I've been looking a long time. I'd like to at least know who she is, where I got my idiosyncrasies from, if there are any other health problems besides type 1 diabetes (fun, right?) that I should be worried about.
The funniest thing? My father is now experiencing symptoms of Alzheimer's and he told me years ago that at the adoption hearing, the judge said my birthmother's name. He says he wishes he had written it down. (He wasn't terribly likely to remember even before the Alzheimer's.)